"Music is the best!" --Frank Zappa
That is the only thing I can claim to know for certain.
My ideals as a teacher are sound control, fun, and community. I teach all of my students how to play their instrument in a manner which they understand and enjoy. I demonstrate how much fun music can be once my student has the facility to create sound freely. And I inspire them to use this gift for bringing people closer together.
Since beginning my musical studies at California State University Northridge, I have been working as a musician in the greater Los Angeles area. Now over a decade later, I continue to perform and teach - enjoying the whole ride wherever it takes me. While my primary instruments are Contrabass and Electric Bass Guitar, I have technical know how on a wide variety of instruments. Some of these include the violin, guitar, and piano.
I'm also happy to teach students who already have technical facility are interested in learning about things like musicality, melodic phrasing, harmonic analysis, rhythmic accuracy, ear training, reading in various clefs, improvisation, and much more.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can bring whatever I need to a lesson, but I expect all of my students to take the initiative to have all necessary equipment for playing. That being said, if a problem ever arises in the procuring of this equipment, I am always happy to help in anyway that I can.
Since joining the rock'n'roll comedy troupe Lost Moon Radio in late 2009, I have had the privilege to perform with them hundreds of times in various capacities. Through my experience with them I have learned things like entertaining an audience that doesn't know what to expect, music directing on the fly, and making a low budget production seem marvelously put together! Also, how to work with actors and comedians... not something they teach you in music school ;)
I have been working regular gigs, teaching lessons, tutoring students, and composing/arranging music since I was in college. In fact, once I was good enough, my freelance work and scholarships paid my way though college. It's been a blast and I have much to share with interested students.
While I was officially a strings coach - working with basses, violins, violas, and cellos - I worked with all sections of the orchestra. This included the brass and woodwinds sections. I also conducted on days that the music director is unavailable and wrote arrangements for the orchestra.
Toddle Tunes® is a multi-award winning music program for babies & toddlers that uses live music & real instruments to enrich your child's brain development. As a former employee and current friend, I can tell you this is the best place in town for kids, babies, and parents to enjoy and learn about music. While working here, I learned to play countless instruments.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Brenton really took an individual approach and made sure we focused on what i wanted to learn and improve on, while at the same time, reinforcing fundamentals and technique. I couldn't figure out what i was doing wrong that was keeping me from getting better. He completely focused and studied everything from my hand position, hand pressure, and posture, and insured that i understood principles and concepts that must be engaged in order to get better, and made sure he figured out everything i needed to do for me to improve, and gave me exercises and techniques to get there-almost like solving an equation. i am an adult very beginning student with no background in music theory and he made me feel comfortable right away and started teaching at the level where i was so that i stayed motivated. i would definitely recommend Brenton to help you improve your playing regardless of what level you are starting.
· Upright Bass · In home Taking upright bass lessons from Brenton has been a wonderful experience. His knowledge, skill, and patience are second to none. If you are looking for a musical instrument instructor who will improve your skill no matter what level you are at, I highly recommend Brenton. He is one cool dude .
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio I was very satisfied with Brenton teachings and look forward to learning to play the guitar with him
· Piano · In studio Very involved and informative, great lesson. I really enjoyed myself!
· Upright Bass · In studio Very easygoing, knowledgeable, and knows how to teach clearly and effectively. Good experience
· Violin · In studio Brenton is an excellent music teacher. Our son really enjoys and has made good advances on the violin as a result of his amazing ability and adaptability to accommodate each individual student. He is super kind and patient.
If it weren't for us moving, we would be continuing lessons with him for a long time!
· Bass Guitar · In studio Brenton is a fantastic instructor for any level of playing ability, as well as any age. As a bass player, it was very difficult to find a local instructor who played bass as their primary instrument, but it was refreshing to see instructors like Brenton out there. His passion for music is clear, and his versatility and knowledge seems infinite. He focuses on the areas that the student wants to improve in, and even provides great suggestions of his own if the student is feeling unsure of where they want to go. He simplifies difficult concepts and makes them accessible to people with any level of musical understanding. Strongly recommended.
· Upright Bass · In home Great introductory lesson. Very patient. Looking forward to lesson #2.
· Fiddle · In studio Brenton is just terrific with my 8 year old son who is a beginner. He makes it fun for Gus and my kid actually comes home from violin / fiddle lessons saying "It was awesome!". He then will actually practice at home-- and Gus is normally one lazy kid. I observed one lesson where they laughed through it even as my kid learned. Parents or nanny are welcome to sit in on the lesson or hang out in the comfortable living room just a few feet away. Brenton obviously is really at ease with kids and kids respond to him equally well.