Hello! I've been teaching for over twenty years, both privately and at major institutions, including Berklee College Of Music (Boston), where I taught from 1988-2000. Graduate of Boston Conservatory of Music, my background includes performing professionally, and recording since the age of 17. Originally from Montreal, I've sung pop, jazz and klezmer with established bands throughout the U.S. I've performed at the Montreal Jazz Festival, Smithsonian, Blue Note, Newport Jazz Festival, and international concerts in Rome, Berlin, Tel-Aviv and Paris. I've also been lead actress in several Off-Broadway shows.
I love teaching students who enjoy the learning process, and who are motivated to grow. My specialty is pop and musical theater, but I teach rock, blues, jazz, cabaret and classical music with equal ease.
Vocal lessons are focused on breathing, warm ups, technique and interpretation of songs. We also work on how to audition.
Piano lessons include basic technique, posture, musicality, and appropriate repertoire, be it lyrical, modern, jazz or classical styles.
Everyone has the opportunity to perform at student recitals, offered twice per year. My students' interests are paramount - individually-based instruction with Integrity, Experience and Joy.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Sound system with microphone
*** Specialties ***
I teach students from age 7 to adult, all backgrounds and levels.
In addition to English, I speak French and Yiddish fluently, as well as some Spanish, Hebrew and German.
Students from all countries welcome!
Styles: Pop, rock, musical theater, jazz, blues, classical
I teach children from pre-K to Grade 5. We work on pop and musical theatre songs, interpretation, movement, and use percussion instruments.
We occasionally view videos of shows and concerts, and keep the kids moving to music.
I've been teaching at my home business since 2003, and have a studio at Piano Distributors in south Sarasota, where I teach on Tuesdays. I was musical director at The Players summer camp program from 2003-2006, taught at Out of Door Academy, and currently teach part time at IMG Academy (since 2011).
All my voice students work on traditional show tunes, contemporary songs, with a focus on lyrics, rhythm, movement, basic music terminology and performance technique. I teach beginning singers to professional level, which includes coaching.
Every piano student learns the fundamentals: good posture, hand positions, dynamics and appropriate repertoire. Each student has a different preference, which is valuable in choosing preferred music styles: classical, lyrical, modern/jazz. I teach beginning level to early intermediate, using the Faber method.
· Singing · In home I knew when I saw Betty's photo that she & I would really resonate with one another! I have sung thruout my life i many ways, howevver, never really worked with a voice teacher and this is very Special for me to finally be doing this for myself :>)!! I LOVE singing and plan to continue to develop my talent in this area of my life...along with Dancing that is :>)!
Betty ~ you have a natural ability & it shines through!!
co-founder of the National Healthy Referral Newspaper and MindYourBodyandSpirit radio show*
· Singing · In home Although I was nervous about starting voice lessons, I had a fun and productive first lesson with Betty. She asked me in advance what pieces I might like to sing and then she had the music ready. She is warm, fun, flexible, versatile and highly skilled and trained in teaching voice. Plus she is a performer herself, an added bonus. She kept me on task when I strayed. Her home studio is well equipped and inviting. I just can't say enough good about her!!!
· Singing · In home Loved it, couldn't have asked for a better experience.
· Singing · In home great experience!
· Singing · In studio She's very nice and clearly has experience working with young children.
· Broadway Singing · In home Betty was very patient and we're excited for our next lesson.
· · Very Talented
Betty is a wonderful teacher and very talented. She really cares about her students and wants the best for them. Wonderful for piano and voice.
· · Piano Teaching
Our daughter was this teacher's piano student for several years. Betty is a very enthusiastic teacher and is a gifted performer herself. She excelled in preparing and presenting her students for professional performances.
· · colleague
I have seen Ms. Betty's students perform every year. Her students are well
prepared and the presentation is always enjoyable. She picks appropriate repertoire in voice and piano.
· · voice lessons
I have been taking voice lessons from Ms. Betty Silberman for the past year. She is so professional, fun to be with and a great singer! I'm learning songs from my country, Israel, as well as American music. We have been working on Whitney Houston, Alicia Keyes and Kelly Clarkson.
If you want an excellent teacher, Ms. Silberman is the one!