- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hello! My name is Bethany. I have been studying horn for almost 20 years and have been teaching for almost 10. I am currently located in Simi Valley, CA, a little valley located next to THE Valley, quite close to most of Los Angeles. I teach online lessons and local lessons in Ventura and Los Angeles County.
About Me | Teaching Method
As a teacher, I find the most joy in seeing technical improvement translate into artistic freedom and musicality. I also just love sharing my nerdy love for the horn with young musicians!
I tailor lessons and take time to understand each student's pace of learning and playing style. I typically write out customized warm ups for each of my students that highlight aspects of horn playing that promote flexibility and teach music theory. I use etudes in not only a way that promotes technique, but also in a way that inspires creativity, giving a student freedom to experiment with musicality and composition. Students are welcome to bring me any ensemble, solo, or audition music they wish to work on.
Lesson Details | Private Horn Lessons
Local Lessons: I will drive to you! The only required equipment is 2 chairs and 1 stand. A piano/keyboard is preferred for music theory and ear training aspects of horn playing but not necessary.
Online Lessons: I use Skype mostly; I can of course use any method of video chat that you prefer.
Freelance Performer in Santa Barbara County, Ventura County, and Los Angeles County.
- orchestral musician
- recording musician
- small ensemble and chamber musician
Performer with the Westmont College faculty woodwind quintet.
Horn Instructor to college-level students of Westmont College.
Since 1970, The International Horn Society (IHS) has been an organization of people from around the world drawn together with a mutual interest in the horn. We are dedicated to the performance, teaching, composition, research, preservation, and promotion of the horn as a musical instrument.
· French Horn · Online Great first lesson!
· French Horn · Bethany is a wonderful instructor! She is consistently caring and insightful, and has appropriately high expectations--which push her students to improve. She was able to help me wisely choose music that would be both challenging and rewarding. I highly recommend her, and I had a great experience taking lessons from her.
· Music Performance · In home I have had the pleasure of collaborating with Bethany over the years and can't recommend her enough for lessons. She is professional, efficient, and a wonderful musician. She has a unique musical insight and intuition that shows in her performances. Bethany has always been incredible at explaining ideas in both a constructive and clear manner. She is a wonderful, patient, kind teacher, and has inspired many, including myself with her playing and discipline in honing her craft.
· French Horn · In home I received horn lessons from Bethany when I was a music minor at UCSB. Bethany was a wonderful teacher and helped me prepare for various recitals. She was always incredibly patient and had a knack for explaining complex techniques in an understandable and clear way. She broke everything down in a way that really worked for me and helped me improve. I always left her lessons knowing how to tackle my practice sessions in an efficient way.
· French Horn · In studio I had Bethany as my horn instructor at Westmont college. Not only is she a great French horn player, but she is a really talented teacher! I wasn't a music major, but she met with me where I was and gave me great fundamental skills. She always was efficient in our time together and I improved because she was able to target my weaknesses and highlight my strengths.