- Teaches students:
- Ages 5 to 65 and special needs
- Teaching since:
Benjamin is a graduate of The George Washington University where he obtained a Bachelor's degree in International Affairs and Political Science with a minor in Geographic Information Systems.
In addition to his undergraduate studies, Benjamin has spent the last two years and a half overseas in Istanbul, Turkey where he worked as an ESL High School Teacher and most recently in Medellin, Colombia where he was an English Teaching Fellow with the Heart for Change Volunteer Program to support the efforts of creating a more bilingual Colombia.
Benjamin has a background in both the Spanish and Turkish languages and is currently developing his proficiency in Portuguese. Benjamin is an individual who is dependable, motivated and personable.
Benjamin looks forward to having you as his student if you choose to decide to enroll in one of his classes. He loves teaching new students and enjoys the learning process. He works his hardest to make sure that all of his students succeed to the best of their abilities.
Thank you and feel free to contact him with any further questions or queries. Benjamin currently lives in Boston, Massachusetts where he is a full-time ESL instructor and education services assistant.
• Taught hundreds of 9th, 10th and 11th grade Colombian students in a local public school about ESL topics such as grammar, vocabulary, listening, writing, reading, and speaking skills.
• Prepared lesson plans, presentations and class activities on a daily basis in order to help my ESL students improve their knowledge and proficiency in the English language.
• Assisted my Colombian co-teacher with planning lessons, creating projects, hosting cultural events, and working to improve his English grammar and pronunciation.
• Co-Leader, Camp Counselor for a YMCA English Immersion Camp for high school students to improve their English proficiency sponsored by the Colombian Ministry of Education
• Assisted and tutored high school students in improving their ACT / SAT scores on the English, Reading and Writing sections
• Explained grammatical concepts along with reading passages, which appear on both standardized exams.
• Edited and proofread written essays by my students in the hopes of improving their writing abilities for the ACT / SAT exams.
• Taught multiple classes of Turkish high school students from 9th Grade and Prep year along with covering other teachers’ lessons, observed their classes and lesson activities
• Prepared lesson plans and classroom activities on a weekly basis with other faculty members and colleagues in order to prepare the ESL students for their examinations, quizzes, and other assignments
• Working 40-45 hours per week at the school which includes 20-25 hours of lessons, grading, extra help tutoring, and Model UN Club Meetings as a faculty advisor
• Teaching foreign learners of the English language how to improve their skills at the beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels
• Preparing individual lesson plans and activities to bolster my students’ speaking, writing, listening, and reading proficiencies
• Interacting on a daily basis with ESL students from countries such as Japan, South Korea, Venezuela, Brazil, etc.
• Working 15-20 hours of lessons per week in the mornings and afternoons
• Tutoring recent immigrants and visitors to the United States from countries such as Ethiopia, Japan, etc. an hour or two per week in basic English conversational and pronunciation skills
• Developing my own lesson plans and activities for each individual ESL learner on a case by case basis without any supervision or guidance from WEC
Can understand virtually anything heard or read, even intellectually demanding material such as an academic lecture or a book on philosophy. Can use the language fluently and spontaneously in a way that can even be more advanced than an average native speaker.+ Read More
•Officially certified as a TEFL Instructor by the International TEFL Academy •Received certification after completing 150 hours of online instruction with an experienced TESOL instructor and more than 20 hours of practical observation and tutoring at the Global ESL Academy in Queens, New York •Achieved a 98% final grade for the main TEFL certification course and a 94% on an additional 30-hour course on how to teach to young learners and students of business English.+ Read More