Ben Z. has been helping people achieve their goals in guitar and music since 2001, and is passionate about teaching students of all ages and skill levels. As an instructor, Ben combines traditional teaching methods with ear training and improvisation to create well rounded experience for the student. Proficiency and creativity are both emphasized in lessons that are designed to be both fun and rewarding. Ben is an avid performer, regularly playing a wide variety of genres. Blues, Oldies, Soul/R&B, Funk, World Music, Classic Rock, Country, Musicals, Ragtime, Gospel, Acoustic fingerstyle, Travis picking, Chicken pickin', Slide guitar, Chord melody/solo arrangements, Lead/rhythm techniques, Music theory, and reading music are all topics that can be covered in lessons. Ben welcomes children and beginners with the same enthusiasm as adults and experienced players. Ben also offers Lap Steel, Pedal Steel, and Banjo lessons for beginners.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Breedlove AC25/SR Plus Acoustic Guitar
Gibson Les Paul
Goldtone Dojo (Banjo/Dobro)
Emmons Pedal Steel
Gretsch Lap Steel
VOX AC-30 amp
Fender Bassman amp
Fender GDEC amp
I teach a weekly high school group guitar class for Julian Charter School in Alpine, CA
I develop and deliver guitar lesson content for one of the leaders in online video guitar lessons, NextLevelGuitar.com
I work as a freelance guitarist, performing live several times a week. I also work as a studio musician, with recording credits on multiple instruments and in several styles.
· Acoustic Guitar · Online I really love taking lessons with Ben. He is a very professional and knowledgeable instructor. He is patient, and flexible. You will enjoy!
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Hi, I like my guitar teacher. 7 years old
· Guitar · In studio A couple of years ago I dabbled in guitar playing and recently decided to take my playing a bit more seriously. Then, I found Ben Zinn. He is a highly proficient guitarist and a phenomenal guitar teacher.
Ben’s wide-range of musical knowledge and background enables me to learn at a much quicker pace than I expected. His patience in teaching allows us to communicate as teacher and student very well. I feel comfortable expressing my musical goals with him. He takes the time to help me understand the structure of what I’m learning without over burdening me with theory.
Ben has the flexible approach to training that caters to the individual student and keeps lessons fun and interesting while maintaining solid progress to individual goals.
He is an ultra-talented musician in his own right, but knows how to “break it down” to nice bite-sized pieces for beginning musicians such as myself. Moreover, he’s one of the nicest guys you’ll meet.
If you’re looking for someone who brings out the real joy in playing the guitar, Ben is your instructor. I encourage anyone looking to finally learn the guitar to sign up for lessons with Ben.
· Guitar · In studio The experience was wonderful. He targeted my weaknesses and made them stronger. I learned a lot! Recommend!
· Guitar · In studio Learning lots of new stuff from lesson one to present... He's a good instructor. Ben listens to me and develops his method of teaching from what my weaknesses are.
· Banjo · In home It was perfect, Ben was really helpful and made me feel totally at ease with the whole process of learning. Can't wait for the next lesson, thanks Ben!
· Acoustic Guitar · Online It was a very productive lesson. Ben was able to teach a lot of things in the limited time given, and he gives enough material to work on that can easily last me a week. He makes his lessons enjoyable and educational at the same time.
· Acoustic Guitar · Online Although it was the first lesson , It is obvious Ben is very good on teaching.His approach is totally according to student's needs and level (it is very important!) He is very kind person and explains the things very well .My 13 years old daughter liked his teaching so much. Most important for us,was He does not start with boring cliches which you can find anywhere in the planet . You start to play with Ben from the first lesson. He is also very cooperative and flexible and open for the new ideas and requests. I strongly recommend him for all level guitarists , especially who already knows a few things and wants to improve to next level . Regards
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Ben is a great guy. He starts with the basics and focuses a lot on technique. He has played the guitar for 20 years so he has lots of experience.
I really enjoy my lessons with him.
· Guitar · Could not be any happier!
Although I thought after years of picking and grinning, I knew what I was doing. Man was I wrong! Ben is taking me back to basics that will strengthen my approach to the music. His laid back style of teaching is just what I needed after years of not picking up my treasured Guild. He recognizes how tedious I find practice, but shows me how it will all work to my advantage in the long haul. Having a great time and will continue to work with Ben as long as it takes. If you need help he is the Man!