Learning to play a musical instrument is a skill that has been proven to improve brain activity. It is one of the only activities to engage both sides of the brain. Students who learn a musical instrument show improvement in their ability to pay attention and understand what is being taught in their academic classes. Most students retain this advantage even if they do not continue to play into adulthood.
Music is fun! It also can express your feelings in ways words cannot. I don't just teach you how to play your instrument, I will teach you to have a love for your music, and from that, you will find that it is a lot of fun! After all, you do "play" your instrument!
In addition to the violin, viola and theory lessons described below, I am also available to coach ensembles. Any combination of string instruments you are working with, I will work with your group to improve your cohesiveness and your musical style.
After leaving Gitter Picker I began teaching most of my lessons at Dodge Intermediate School in Twinsburg. I now teach from my home. Most of my students are in Twinsburg Schools and members of the orchestra. I have had many students perform at the OMEA Solo/Ensemble Adjudicated Event at the High School and Middle School levels. My students consistently receive Excellent and Superior ratings. Beginning in 2017, I will have my students perform in a recital in June so that they may have the chance to show what they have accomplished during a the year.
I taught orchestra to students in grades 6-8. My students competed at the OMEA Solo/Ensemble Adjudicated Event where they received Excellent and Superior Ratings.
I taught 1st and 2nd year strings to 4th and 5th grade students at 2 elementary schools. I also assisted at Claggett Middle School 3 days each week.
I taught students in violin and viola. Students performed at various "open mic" nights put on by Gitter Picker.
I taught beginning strings to 4th grade students.
I taught a variety of students in violin, viola and cello. Students performed at a recital each year.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Violin · In home First lesson went very well!
· Violin · In home Nice to have the one on one teaching experience. If you have an issue she can stop you right on the spot that is giving you an issue and tell you what your are doing incorrectly. She also tells you what you are doing right.
· Viola · In home She was very patient with me (a brand new student). She showed me a lot of tips and gave me insight to the violin that I did not know. Definitely worth the lesson
· Violin · In home Kylee really enjoyed her first lesson and is pumped to play this instrument. Barb was super nice and Kylee worked well with her.
· Violin · In studio Very professional and easy to work with!
· Violin · In studio Barbara is an amazing teacher! My son looks forward to lessons with her and can't wait to tell his friends and family what he has learned each week. She knows what pace to work at and is very patient. Wonderful teacher !
· Violin · In home My son has been taking lessons for several years with Barb. His skills and technique improved dramatically when he began and have continue to improve over the years. He received the "most improved" award in orchestra after his first year of lessons. He performs challenging music well at annual recitals and in Akron Youth Philharmonic with Barb's guidance. Barb is encouraging during lessons, yet always points out specific things that need attention for the next week. I highly recommend her.
· Viola · In home We have been taking lessons with Barbara for several years now and her expertise is top notch. She has worked with both my 11 year old and 13 year old daughter. My oldest was principal for the entire 7th grade year and the lessons are what made a difference in her skill level. I am excited for my girls to continue to grow in their love of music and the viola and credit Barb for our private lessons. We are looking forward to this years solo and ensembles performance and already picked out our music. I highly recommend taking lessons with Barbara she is very flexible in her schedule and it's very convenient to set up and reschedule appointments and her prices are very reasonable.