- Teaches students:
- Ages 7+
- Teaching since:
Hi, I'm Miss Annie and I think playing the flute is a hoot! Since graduating cum laude in Music Eduation from Utah State University in 2007, I have earned a reputation as a dynamic teacher and performer with a high-energy teaching style.
Music is supposed to be fun! I create enjoyable, creative lessons that meet YOUR needs. These lessons will help you avoid common pitfalls and frustrations so that you can accomplish your flute-playing dreams. I focus on the indispensables so that you can play your wishlist of pieces!
That means we will work together to make playing the flute comfortable and free (through body mapping and elements of the Alexander technique), fluent and fluid (through tone development and technical exercises), and fascinating and fun (through great repertoire).
We have so much to talk about. The flute is a fascinating and magnificent instrument! Let's play!
• Created a multi-sensory and play-based beginning ukulele curriculum from scratch
• Pioneered unique teaching techniques for improving rhythmic accuracy and musical literacy
• Designed songbooks and arranged 20 accompanying CD tracks for student use
• Taught students ages 6-12 in short semester and summer camp formats using multi-sensory, Kodaly- and Orff-based formats
• Directed a church choir program, staffed by approximately 20-30 volunteers
• Selected and taught choral music to laypersons in a group setting
• Conducted monthly choral performances, including Christmas and Easter choral programs
• Taught private piano instruction to individual students in elementary grades
• Fostered personal connection with each student and parent, tailoring each student’s trajectory to his or her own goals and abilities
• Searched out and implemented the best and latest in pedagogical tools and technologies to bring advanced musical concepts to life
• Experienced with Faber Piano Adventures and the Piano Pronto series
• Established a thriving Let’s Play Music franchise in a home-based studio, serving over 50 clients over 3.5 years
• Taught Kodaly- and Orff-based comprehensive music and piano skills to groups of students aged 4 to 10 in a three-year program; average class size of 5-6 students
• Trained students to sing in tune, using solfege hand signs and syllables; play the piano; read, sight-read and sight-sing music; dictate music; compose music; and appreciate great classical music
• Utilized a highly multisensory teaching approach, complete with puppet shows, folk dances, games, stories, and visual aids to make concepts accessible to children
• Tailored classes to the developmental needs of young children, including rapid pacing, and animated, high-energy teaching style
• Educated parents at biweekly or monthly parent-attending classes designed to improve parent guidance of student practice and facilitate parent-child bonding
• Taught high-energy, fun flute lessons to students of all levels, primarily from the middle and high school grades
• Earned reputation as a charismatic speaker, presenting seminars in local public schools about breathing, posture, and performance techniques
• Tailored every lesson to each student’s abilities, needs, and goals to foster a life-long love of musical learning; particular skill in improving flute performance in students initially taught by non-flutists
• Utilized repertoire and methods from Marcel Moyse, Trevor Wye, Malcolm Pollock, Taffanel and Gaubert, among many others
• Accompanied choirs and soloists of diverse levels in a high school setting
• Performed advanced repertoire in a wide variety of styles
• Completed intensive certification course approved by the American Orff-Schulwerk Association
• Child-centered approach of music and movement based on the work of composer Carl Orff
• Received award for excellence in recorder performance
Annie is so fun, sweet, and so knowledgable! I accompanied her choir and was always impressed with her skills. I also loved that she got right down to business and had a kind, yet strong command when working. I would definitely recommend her!
I am in a choir directed by Annie and it has been such a great experience. She is clear in her instructions, able to solve issues and trouble shoot problems, and able to include all levels of musicians in the same group - not an easy thing to do. I also was in a beginning ukulele class taught by Annie - what fun! She gave easy to follow lessons in rhythm, reading notes, and fingering/strumming patterns. Everyone had fun, learned a lot, and left the class able to play some songs and had the tools to learn more on their own.+ Read More
Loved my experience singing under Annie's guidance. She is professional and creative and I love that she doesn't waste time. She is able to relate to a wide audience of varying musical background and cater to each person's needs.
Ms. Annie is a wonderful teacher! She makes learning fun! We really enjoyed our experience with her. :)
Annie is skilled, organized, and an excellent teacher. She was my choir director, and I was very impressed with the way she ran the organization and successfully taught students of many levels.
Great teacher, patient and cheerful! I spent very good time learning with her!
Annie is an amazing musician, not just a superb flute teacher and performer. She is extremely easy to communicate with and a great person. Combine her musicality with superb teaching abilities, and the fact she is such a great person, you have one of the best teachers you will find.+ Read More
Annie is an amazing teacher. My daughter is shy and timid and usually has no interest in classes but she LOVED Annie and her class. Annie was very patient and respectful. We had to move away and we haven't been able to find a music teacher to replace her. I definitely recommend Annie!+ Read More
I've been impressed and astounded at my daughter's progress in Miss Annie's let's play music class. She's always fully happy, engaged and prepared to teach the kids each week. My daughter learns so much and has a blast doing so. I love hearing her improve each week. Fantastic program and teacher!+ Read More
Annie is such a dynamic instructor. She is engaging and fun and it's clear how educated she is in the field of music. And not only is she educated, but she has a passion for it and for teaching it that really shines through. She's been our daughter's music class teacher for almost 2 years now and we couldn't be more pleased with Annie or her instruction.+ Read More