- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I had my first piano lesson when I was five years old. I performed my first piano solos for audiences at school events. I joined the keyboard team at church when I was thirteen years old. I quickly learned to improvise and accompany. It was exciting to discover that I could study piano in college. I earned my way by accompanying voice and instrument choirs, rehearsals, lessons, and recitals. I enjoy helping other people excel, so I chose a teaching degree over a performance degree.
In 1991, I graduated with my bachelor of music degree in piano pedagogy. I immediately began teaching private and group piano lessons, building my studio over fifteen years to reach nearly 600 students ages five to seventy-five. I accompanied community choirs, local vocal artists, and students performing on other instruments. I performed as a substitute for church choir directors and accompanists. I was employed as a music director and organist for seven years.
I achieved my Music K-12 professional teacher certification with the State of Florida in 2007. I teach elementary classroom music for the District School Board of Pasco County. I continue to perform as a professional accompanist and serve on the piano faculty at the Patel Conservatory at the Straz Center for the Performing Arts in Tampa.
*** Lesson Details ***
I teach beginning students to read music. I teach students to play piano successfully. Reading music is a step-by-step process. I like to begin at the beginning. Using an age-appropriate All-in-One course from Alfred Publishing, we begin with the basic layout of the piano and learn to navigate the 88 keys. If you absorb and apply the information quickly, we move along quickly. If you need a little more time to sort it out, we take all the time you need.
My piano lessons are structured around the student's interests and abilities. Whether you are looking for a fun hobby or a place to launch your musical career, our time together will guide you to your goals. I am aware of physical and cognitive developmental stages and am able to present material in a suitable format for any student, adult or child.
*Special note to parents of children with unique needs: Piano lessons are a fantastic way to provide your child with focused one-on-one time while learning new skills. Playing the piano incorporates hand-eye-brain coordination, reinforces reading skills, provides opportunities for personal achievement, and teaches self-discipline through accountability. With my experience and training in Exceptional Student Education, I am able to personalize piano lessons for students with physical and cognitive challenges.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Living room w/ f/w keyboard and seating for parents
*** Travel Equipment ***
My students need to have at least a 50+key keyboard/piano in their home.
*** Specialties ***
Sight Reading, Beginners
Before adding Elementary Music Teacher to my resume in 2004, I owned and operated my own private piano studio, serving nearly 600 students over 15 years. I continue to teach privately now through TakeLessons.com.
Five-year renewable certification for Music K-12 and Elementary Education 1-6
· Piano · In studio 1st lesson went well. My kids seem very engaged and eager to learn.
· Piano · In studio Awesome and very encouraging
· Piano · In home Amy is an excellent piano teacher! We have been working with her for over 2 years and she is so professional, always on time, knowledgeable, and very patient with little hands! Importantly she is also able to adapt teaching methods to fit the learning style of the child. I highly recommend working with Amy.
· Piano · In studio Miss Amy is a wonderful teacher. She is very patient and kind. You can tell that she loves teaching piano. I have learned so much and she makes it fun too!
· Piano · In studio Accidentally had given 4 instead of 5 stars as my glasses were off! My son really likes her!
· Piano · In home My son likes her a lot.
· Piano · In studio Amy is a great instructor! She identifies the level you are at, works with you, and makes you feel at ease.
· Piano · In home She was very in tune with how to work with the kids. Recommend!
· Piano · In studio Amy has developed a positive bond with my daughter and is skilled at teaching piano.
I was skeptical that my daughter (she was 10 when she began) would advance much with only 30 minute lessons once a week. I was wrong! Amy initially focused on the fundamentals, while slowly introducing my daughter's popular pop song requests. This balance (including lots of practice) has kept my daughter's interest as well as progressed her skills way beyond my expectations.
Amy has been very accommodating, flexible, and easy and pleasurable to communicate with when unforeseen schedule challenges have arisen.
The learning atmosphere in Amy's home is conducive, comfortable, and welcoming. My daughter enjoys seeing Ms. Amy weekly to show off what she's practiced and anxious to learn more. My visits during the lessons are relaxing ...sitting on the living room couch adjacent to the piano.
I'd recommend Amy N. for anyone interested in a patient and talented music teacher.
· Piano · Lovely Teacher
Ms. Amy is a wonderful teacher. From a students perspective, her lessons are enjoyable and helpful. Ms. Amy is always there when assistance is needed and questions need to be answered. She has a very warm, patient, friendly and opened personality and i would recommend her to anyone looking to learn to play the piano. Playing the piano with Ms. Amy is very enjoyable and something I look forward to doing weekly.
-A Happy Student