- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
Amy Ahn is a classically-trained harpist, singer-songwriter, composer and arranger raised in the Bay Area and based in Los Angeles. She has been mentored by Karen Thielen, Marjorie Chauvel, Los Angeles Philharmonic’s Lou Anne Neill, and is currently studying the harp with Boston Pops’ Ina Zdorovetchi and esteemed jazz harpist Felice Pomeranz. She holds a BA in Harp Performance from The University of California, Los Angeles and is currently fulfilling a MM in Harp Performance at The Boston Conservatory at Berklee. In 2017, Amy became a substitute member of the Boston Lyric Opera.
Her repertoire ranges from classical pieces, wedding songs, jazz transcriptions, orchestral excerpts to original music.
She has been a wedding/gig harpist since 2008 and an orchestral harpist since 2005.
Her favorite memories include singing a Rachael Lampa song with harp accompaniment at a dear friend's wedding in early 2010, as well as opening for Booker T. Jones and Black Joe Lewis's Royce Hall performance in 2016 with Loos Leaf band.
The Harp In Our Public Schools Project provides free harp lessons to underserved students in the hopes of positively impacting the students, families and community of Lennox, CA.
- Assisted in giving group harp lessons at Moffett Elementary School (Grades 3-5) three days/week
- Created a friendly and fun environment for the kids to not only learn but to also enjoy making music
- Maintained order in the classroom to assist the main teacher in leading the lesson
- Worked with students one-on-one to facilitate difficult pieces
- Explained and demonstrated techniques pertaining to harp performance
- Facilitated rehearsal activity 9 hours/day for one week
- Prepared student for daily large ensemble rehearsals and the seasonal performances
Amy is such a genuine and soulful teacher! I am so grateful with how patient, encouraging, and understanding she was throughout my lessons :). She is thoroughly knowledgeable of so many types of harp repertoire and picked perfect pieces for me to learn to match my personality and musical tastes. As I learned more and more, she always knew exactly what to say to help me master the piece. She is such a sweetheart and so inspiring with her dedication to and passion for teaching the harp and helping her students excel- I wish I could rate my experience with her teaching a higher score!+ Read More
Lessons with Amy are so great! I had beginner harp lessons with her for half a year and loved her natural, encouraging and friendly demeanor! She's also great at the use of demonstration to teach, especially as I am a visual learner. From day one, I learned about the great history of harp technique and developed focused goals to work towards!+ Read More