- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Having taught piano and flute lessons for over 15 years in the North Shore. I have had the pleasure of working with students of all ages (3 - adult), both beginner and advanced.
I enjoy teaching students the "classical music" repertoire. I also strive to give my students a solid foundation in music theory and history in order for them to truly understand and appreciate the roots and structure of the music. In addition, I want my students to really love playing music and so I strongly encourage my students to also learn to play music outside of the classical repertoire. I believe balance is key, so I generally teach students to play classical music as well as music from other genres (such as film music, pop music, video game music, holiday music etc).
*** Lesson Details ***
Each student is a unique individual with different learning preferences, goals, musical tastes, and body mechanics. In contrast to the "cookie-cutter" teaching method (a uniform teaching method utilized for every student), with each student, I design an individualized lesson plan that not only accommodates the student's needs, but also nurtures their overall appreciation of music.
I do not demand perfection from my students, but I do expect students to at least put in the effort to learn. I truly want to teach students how to play the piano or flute and I want to encourage students to find joy in making music. The methods I typically utilize include: (PIANO) Faber & Faber Piano Adventures, John Thompson Piano Course, Bastien's Piano Literature, Suzuki Piano (FLUTE) Suzuki Flute, Standard of Excellence book 1, Andersen etudes for flute.
Throughout my piano and flute career, I have competed in numerous music competitions and prepared for several music auditions. If you wish to have your child enter in competitions or prepare for any music auditions, I would be more than happy to help!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Glenview Location: I have a Boston baby grand piano, a flute, a metronome, and sheet music (piano & flute repertoire).
Evanston Location: I have a Yamaha Keyboard (equipped with weighted keys, all 88 keys, pedal, and a built-in metronome) and my flute.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Students MUST have a piano or at least a working keyboard (for piano lessons). For flute, students MUST have a functional flute and a music stand. For the first lesson I can decide what music is needed and the student can then go out and purchase that music. Students should also have a working metronome.
*** Specialties ***
I enjoy teaching all styles and genres of music. I enjoy traditional western art genres, but I can also teach pop music, show tunes, as well as video game music.
I teach piano lessons in students' homes through the Glenview-based music lesson company, Dynamic Music. I have taught private lessons as well as group piano classes.
I began tutoring both piano and flute while in high school and continued teaching both throughout my University studies.
For six semesters, I taught several music history and music appreciation courses that were centered on music history and listening to music critically.
I was hired as a temporary piano instructor at the Allegro Music Academy in Lemont, IL (to cover for another teacher on maternity leave). I took on about 25 new students ranging from ages 3-17, both beginners and more advanced students.
· Flute · In studio Alysia is a great teacher who takes her time with her students...
· Piano · In home Mitchell is 11 and enjoyed his first lesson with Alysia. She did well connecting with him and accessing his knowledge.
· Piano · In studio Wonderful!
· Piano · In home I am a complete beginner. She is articulate; covered the basics so that I could practice and make progress even in this first week. She is pleasant, and yet, she is serious about music and making this successful. I liked her very much.
· Piano · In studio Alysia is a wonderful teacher. She also is excellent in teaching music theory. She is very patient. She makes it easier for me. She is sensitive and in tuned with my strengths and weaknesses. I would highly recommend her.
· Piano · Awesome teacher. Super friendly and helps me with my vocal music as well as teaching my choice of sheet music.
Awesome teacher! Friendly and supportive. Helps me with my vocal music as well as piano and teaches me the sheet music that I want to learn.
· Flute · Felt very welcomed and my musical abilites have greatly improved.
I found Alysia's teaching abilities to be quite excellent. She was kind, understanding, and most importantly, patient. I highly recommend her as a music teacher for anybody and everybody, especially children.