- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+
- Teaching since:
I have been performing on drums with bands since 2004. Currently, I am involved with one resident project. I freelance as a percussionist and drummer with orchestras, broadway musicals, pick-up bands, and other ensembles in the LA area.
I have been teaching guitar, piano, drums and percussion privately since 2010. Immediately, I took a liking to instructing and guiding others to their musical goals. I recognize every student's unique skills, experience, tendencies, and get acquainted with their personality which helps me devise methods and lesson plans that will best suit their learning style.
I often find that I am able to learn just as much from my students as they from me. Nothing beats the feeling of the moment when a student is able to play that lick or song and knowing that I helped them get there.
Whether the instruction is for personal fulfillment as a hobby, professional aspirations, or auditioning for music schools, I have 3 things you can expect from me and 2 things I expect from you.
1) Fun! My experience learning music was always fun. My teachers often used humor and musical games to help teach concepts and refocus attention on the lesson. My teaching style is greatly informed by that style.
2) Challenge. There is no learning without challenge. Every lesson we will work on something that will challenge you and get you closer to your goal; a new song, concept, or technique. However I am sensitive to individual student's abilities and am careful to assign challenges accordingly.
3) Custom Lesson Plans. Different ages, different personalities, and different motivations for seeking lessons all affect how lessons will be constructed. Lesson plans can range from mostly musical games with technique and music-theory sprinkled in, or the reverse of that.
Expected from you:
1) An understanding that what you get from lessons is what you put into them, or as I like to call it, practice. I do not hold hobbyist students to the same standard as professional students, but I do expect my students to practice as often as they can as their schedule and situation allows.
2) Questions! Please ask me questions. This will help me streamline your lessons and help me become a better teacher - both of which are of benefit to you!
Instruction from me includes fundamental technique and applied skills on guitar, drums, piano and percussion; music theory, music reading skills, ear training, music history; study of various musical styles including popular styles, classical, jazz and world music; improvisation, memorization techniques, self-motivation techniques, performance anxiety management, developing good practice habits, and body awareness techniques.
I also offer advanced technical studies for drum and percussion students in particular. For my guitar and piano students, once you have reached a certain ability level, I can refer you to excellent teachers for you to continue your studies.