- Teaches students:
- and Ages 16+
- Teaching since:
- September 2013
Hi, my name is Allison! I'm a native English speaker, TEFL-certified, and graduated from Hunter College with a BA in Creative Writing in 2016. I've always had a passion for literature, writing, and the English language, so it's no surprise that I've been tutoring for almost four years now. I also began teaching English at the college level in the fall of 2016.
My experience as a tutor has taught me to evaluate students’ individual needs and tailor my approach accordingly. As a result, my students achieve noticeable improvement by the end of the semester, and I’ve had many students request me personally for tutoring services.
As an adjunct lecturer, I teach students how to develop their expository writing and rhetorical analysis skills through writing workshops and discussions of literature. Through this work, I’ve seen my students embrace their own literary voices and begin to develop what I hope will be a life-long love of writing.
• Develop and provide differentiated instruction with clear learning objectives to support student
• Facilitate small group activities emphasizing critical learning.
• Grade and return students’ papers in a timely manner.
• Maintain class decorum by establishing and enforcing rules when necessary.
• Evaluate and encourage students’ performance and development through one-on-one conferences.
• Attend departmental meetings focused on teaching methodology.
• Aid students in planning, organizing, and developing academic essays.
• Create and prepare individualized lessons plans and activities that target foundational writing skills, such as thesis development, organization, citation, as well as vocabulary building, grammar, and mechanics.
• Promote English fluency in reading, writing and conversational skills.
• Formulate immediate and long-term goals with students, resulting in noticeable academic improvement by the end of the semester.
• Work effectively with students with diverse learning needs and cultural backgrounds.
• Establish positive relationships with students, fellow tutors, and supervisors.
• Proofread, copyedit, and format manuscripts.
• Review manuscripts and provide feedback in collaborative meetings with editors.