Born in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Bin Shin (Alison) began playing cello at the age of 8. She received a Bachelor of Music from the Shanghai Conservatory of Music in 2002 and a Master of Music from the Longy School of Music of Bard College in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 2013.
Ms. Alison has held several orchestral positions, including with the Malaysia National Symphony Orchestra, the Radio Television Malaysia Orchestra, The Youth Orchestra of Shanghai, Boston Chamber Symphony, the Metrowest Symphony Orchestra, Boston Callioppe Orchestra, and The Greater Boston Asian- American Symphony Orchestra. She has extensive international performing experience, including an engagement with the National Symphony of Malaysia at the Asian Orchestra Festival held in Japan in 2004 as part of a tour of China, Japan, Korea and Thailand. As a member of the Radio Television Orchestra in Malaysia, she performed on several Malaysian television shows including Astro and Malaysian Idol. These experiences helped shape Ms. Alisonas an artist and inspired her to nurture the next generation of musicians.
In addition to her appreciable experience as a performance artist, Ms. Alison's commitment to mentor future generations of cellists motivated her to tutor at the Shanghai ABRSM Music School, the Shanghai American International School, Edvox Strings Music School in Singapore, and the Bentley Music Academy in Malaysia. She has instructed a cello section, taught at a private cello studio and instructed orchestral repertoire classes. These experiences have helped her to further develop her expertise in music education and engagement as a qualified music teacher in greater Boston. In addition to employing a traditional teaching style, her dedication to cello and teaching inspired her to become certified as a Suzuki method trained instructor in 2011. Ms. Alison enjoys instilling the same passion she has for music in her students and hopes to encourage her students to develop their own musical style.
In 2010, before coming to the United States to study for her Master in Music, Ms. Alison began her own quintet, The Trout Quintet, which performed classical music in Kuala Lumpur. In addition to Ms. Alison's extensive classical string music repertoire, she often experiments with different musical styles such as Bossa Nova and Lieder, performing as a guest with several groups in the Boston area. Her creativity and drive have helped her to become an accomplished performance artist and a well-respect music teacher.
Starting in September, Ms. Alison will be performing with the Waltham Philharmonic and the New Philharmonic Orchestra etc. In addition, she will be leading the cello section at the Josiah Quincy School using the groundbreaking El Sistema system, pioneered in Venezuela by Dr. Jose Antonio Abreu.
*** Studio Equipment ***
*** Travel Equipment ***
To have thier own instrument and materials
*** Specialties ***
Bi-lingual teaching expereinces
Teaching Artist project
· Cello · In home She's a pretty chill teacher. She's always punctual and arrives for the lesson on time. She's very helpful and is a great teacher. Helps me improve my cello playing skills. Overall great instructor.
· Cello · In home Alison is great!
· Cello · In home Alison is great! I picked up Cello just about 6 weeks ago for the first time. She's very patient and understanding. I'm looking forward to continue to learn from her, and hopefully will return with a lot more positive things to say when I get more familiar with her work!
· Cello · In home Alison is a wonderful teacher. Very patient and upbeat. She breaks things down to help the student progress and feel good.
· Cello · In home I knew absolutely nothing about the cello before my first lesson with Alison. She has been a great teacher since the very first minute ! She makes me feel confident and gives me good advice to improve. I didn't expect to get nice sounds out of a string instrument after just a few lessons, but I do ! I highly recommend Alison for cello lessons !
· Cello · In home excellent teacher,cello lessons are fun,instructive and inspiring.She is not rigid in her teaching and there is no guilt.If i were a small child taking cello it would be consoling to me to see such a petite musician dominate such a big instrument!
· Cello · In home Alison is a very straightforward, clear instructor. She starts with the fundamentals (I'm a beginner) and ensures that you master basic skills first before moving on to more challenging stuff. I enjoy working with her - she tells me when I'm doing something wrong in a pleasant way, shows me the right way, and praises me when I get it right. She is a great teacher!
· · Alison is a fantastic teacher. I just started playing cello, but I understand music theory and can rad some music too. She is patient, accurate, articulate, well-prepared, and professional. I've taken music lessons for saxophone, guitar, and cello, from at least ten teachers, and Alison is the best teacher I've had. I highly recommend her!
· Cello · A teacher who is more than great~
I like Alison very much when we just met each other. And, to be frank, it was not because of her fabulous performance, and the intelligible teaching skills since I actually had no idea with those yet at that time. Indeed, it is all about the elegant, charming temperament of her. I felt like be taught by a cellist, and that gave me more confidence with the teaching quality. Then, as expected, Alison did a extremly great job on leading me into the world of cello. She not only taught very accurate on the technique of playing, but also taught me to play with an inner peace. Especially, she always likes to give a commendation rather than to criticize. That, for a very beginner, is a very important and precious teaching methodology, at least for just me, since it helped to built the self-confident and personal interest on study. In a word, thanks to Alison, I learned cello fast and joyfully. I do really appreciate the wonderful learning experience she brought to me. Hope that'd be helpful.
· Piano · Patient, professionally, knowlegdable
Alison taught my 7 year old daughter piano. My daughter never took piano before and is very shy.
Alison is polite, friendly, patient and tries to relate to a 7 year old without talking down to her.
She is highly recommended.