- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I've been playing guitar since I was 12 and a musician since very early childhood. I've exchanged musical ideas with hundreds and hundreds of people, studied music formally, and learned by ear; I am an advocate of folk-style teaching, that is, direct transmission from teacher to student; but music theory is central to my teaching and playing style. I believe in learning thing in order, first to last. This is not as boring as it sounds. In fact it is powerful. We start with basic rhythm, harmony, and scale forms. We immediately apply these to music of your choice. It is always about music and never about "practice." Practice is just food for the music: we feed it according to its appetite. The hungrier you are for musical knowledge, the more I will feed you forms and practices. It is always proportional to your desire, so this learning is never difficult. You get exactly what you need.
I've played with many bands and artists, performed with Cayucas and Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead, and many lesser known but equally talented artists; I believe music transcends instruments and is essentially a mode of breathing, which is why the voice is the primary instrument; I can compliment any musical project on a variety of instruments, including guitar, banjo, mandolin, electric and upright bass, percussion, drum set, keyboard; I have a good deal of experience studying the interlocking effects of rhythm, harmony, and melody on the human body and mind. I have been teaching this skill for over a decade, mainly on the guitar. As you have probably surmised music is more than a skill to me, it is a mode of life. I try to communicate this truth intact through my lessons.
· Acoustic Guitar · Online Alex is a great teacher - well worth getting lessons from him. He understands theory as well as the art of music and passes along his wisdom with fun and ease.
· Music Theory · In studio Alex has both advanced technique and extensive music theory knowledge. He is a creative musician and makes lessons much more interesting and inspiring than other teachers I've had before. He has a unique ability of explaining music theory with more than just the textbook approach, often using metaphors and examples that communicate the concept, making them easier to remember.
He's also a patient teacher which I appreciate. He didn't get frustrated when I struggled. Instead he focused on figuring out a different way of explaining the issue I was struggling with. We always found a way in the end.
He's also just a fascinating guy so lessons are more interesting and not just transactional. I've had other teachers in the past who were good but I didn't look forward to the lessons. It's easier to make progress when you have a creative and inspiring time with your teacher. Thanks Alex!