Born and raised in north Minneapolis, Alex began taking guitar lessons at age 11 and after high school graduation was accepted to both Berklee and McNally Smith College. Alex graduated from McNally and also studied classical music in Germany at Musikhochschule Luebeck. Alex believes that well-rounded people make the best musicians and has strived to impress that idea upon his students in over 10,000 lessons since 2008.
I help run a shop where we make handmade acoustic guitars. I do whatever needs doing around the shop, which might include sanding braces, inlay work, or even just coffee errands.
I've taught over 12,000 lessons to almost any age & skill level imaginable, to people from all walks of life.
· Guitar · In studio Alex has inspired my son to love playing music for the rest of his life. I can't think of a more wonderful gift. His technique in teaching allowed my son to enjoy learning guitar by playing songs he wanted to play. This made him want to practice just for the fun of it! Alex taught my son from the time he was 9 years old until he was 15. The easy going, positive attitude Alex exudes encouraged my son along his journey and made a strong bond and connection between the two of them. I wholeheartedly encourage anyone who would like to learn to play guitar to sign up for lessons with Alex!
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Alex is a superb teacher and is very patient and well schooled. I look forward to my lessons every Friday.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Alex is incredibly knowledgeable and great with students off every age group! I took lessons from him for five years and my only regrets were not having more time to practice so I could get more out of my lesson times.
During lessons we worked on sight reading, ear training, memorizing chords and scales, different picking and strumming patterns, theory lessons, and anything else that I discovered and wanted to try.
· Guitar · In studio I first met Alex a long time ago when we were attending McNally Smith College of Music. Right off the bat, Alex impressed me with his ability to sightread and his dedication to his instrument. What started as a friendship quickly developed into a study partnership and then a learning opportunity that was of great benefit to me as a guitarist.
Alex spearheaded the forming of a Sight Reading Club and he was it's head instructor. Every week we would get together and work on our chops; very quickly I could see how valuable he was as a teacher and guitar coach. He helped me stick it out during the tough sessions and had the drive to sit patiently as I worked something out in my own time.
I would highly recommend Alex for his patience, persistence, punctuality, and (most importantly) Passion for teaching music. He is a fantastic instructor who I enthusiastically recommend to anyone looking to improve their ability to play the guitar!
Oh and BTW, he's a great blues player - just check out his videos!!!
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio I alredy submitted one review but I failed to notice the rating stars at the top!!
A;ex is a 5 star instuctor and he has been my instructor for nearly four years. There isn’t a style of music or song that he can’t play. More importantly, there isn’t a style of music or song that he can’t teach. He is flexible, adaptive, patient, and an overall great teacher. I highly recommend Alex for beginner to advanced players and everyone in between
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Alex Made it easy to jump right in and start learning songs that I chose at the first lesson. He's very flexible with genres and provides written tab/chords for each song that I could take with me for later reference.
· Guitar · In studio Alex took the time to find out my daughter's musical interests, and kept her interest by teaching riffs from some of her favorite songs. He was reliable, professional, and personable.
· Guitar · In studio Alex is a fabulous instructor. He's very patient and encouraging. He understood my musical tastes and offered songs that I enjoyed practicing. I highly recommend his lessons and would urge anyone who wants to learn guitar to use his services.
· · I've worked with Alex as a musician for about 5 years, and I've always known him to be a true professional. He shows up on time, knows his parts, and can improvise tastefully. He has a knack for catching on to things quickly and being able to understand/explain them to others; it's a product of his experience and natural ability to teach. Above all, as a bandmate and a friend, Alex encourages me. I took private lessons from a few different teachers in my younger days, and what has truly carried through into my career is what I learned from the teachers who encouraged and excited me about playing my instrument. Alex is that kind of person and that kind of teacher.
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio I've taken lessons with Alex for over four months and can honestly say our sessions together have drastically improved my skill set. Alex is great at tailoring each lesson by working through songs I want to learn to play and layering on the underlying themes / theory that is being used within each song. I definitely recommend taking lessons with Alex!