My given mame is Yolande but most people know me as Yoly.
I was born in London, England where I began my first years of intense piano study with the Royal College of Music.
Growing up immersed in a family of the fine arts, a passionate path to encompass all creative outlets has been inevitable. In 1986 I emigrated to the United States, where my love for the piano in particular led me to pursue and complete a Bachelor of Arts Degree majoring in piano studies at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida. In 2000 I moved to Californa and began my full time piano teaching career.
I currently reside in Burbank, California, where I offer lessons to all ages and levels at my private studio. I am a member of the California Association of Professional Music Teachers, Music Teachers National Association of California and National Guild of Piano Teachers. Through these associations, I am able to offer my students the opportunity to participate in the Certificate of Merit program and/or the National Guild of Piano Teachers Auditions as well as to perform in competitions, concerts and at my own private group recitals. I feel truly blessed to be able to use my gift of creating and teaching music to help enrich the lives of others. During my 15 years of teaching I have had a wide variety of students that continuously inspire me to keep growing on all levels. Alongside my full time teaching career, I continue to follow my passion and love for my own artistic development through song writing, musical composition, poetry, writing and art.
Lessons are structured specifically to cater the needs and desires of each individual student. I always create a positive environment in which the student feels comfortable enough to ask questions. Mistakes are all part of the learning process and it is important that my students do not feel pressured or embarrassed about not being perfect. As individuals we are free to learn at our own unique pace.
I recommend a 30 minute lesson for the younger student who is not involved in an examination process. Even 30 minutes can be overwhelming for some children and especially beginners, but our time is divided equally among technical, practical and theoretical exercises. For the older and more advanced players 45 to 60 minute lesson are suggested.
I have a beautiful conservatory grand Estonia piano as well as a Korg Triton 88 key weighted electronic keyboard.
Part Time Piano Teacher for a busy studio.
I compose short pieces for to advertise for the Global Theatre Project.
Teach piano lessons, theory classes, master classes and prepare students for proficiency exams and recitals.
Private Music Lessons to all ages and levels
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
Our primary function is to establish definite goals and awards--in noncompetitive auditions--for students of all levels, from the earliest beginner to the gifted prodigy.
MTAC aspires to be the recognized leader in (1) Student Programs, which make a positive impact in the quality of music education and in the lives of music students; (2) Member Programs, which inspire quality teaching, the pursuit of ongoing teacher education and member involvement with community outreach; (3) a thriving Foundation, which funds Student Programs and member needs through its investments, donations, and grants.
· Piano · In home Yolanda is so great. Her patience and her easy-going style during lessons has motivated me to keep learning. She loves her job and she is a gifted piano instructor.
Thank you Yolanda
· Piano · In home wonderful person and great teacher.
· Piano · In studio I am 38 and started taking lessons from Yoly in 2012. I’m not sure if I can adequately summarize why taking lessons from Yoly is an overall uplifting experience but I will try.
Yoly’s teaching style or teaching method is not the typical one-size-fits-all approach. Instead, her style/method is personalized to the needs and desires of each individual student. Because she takes the time to listen and understand what it is you want to achieve with piano, she is able to tailor your lesson time so it will be of most value to you. One attribute important to me that she encompasses and reflects throughout her personalized teaching style is her patience. She instructs and guides with persistence but also with kind patience. She encourages without being pushy and she has the unique ability to motivate you just by her being present. It is obvious Yoly enjoys sharing her gift because she uses her knowledge to teach with enthusiasm and encouragement.
I was lucky to also learn a bit of piano theory from Yoly, which I found to be extremely helpful by instilling a balanced understanding of the piano, piano playing and music which in turn lead to an understanding of why it is necessary to practice scales!
I currently live in San Diego but if I am ever scheduled to be in the LA area, I am sure to schedule a lesson with her. Basically, the bottom line is - Yoly is an inspiration. Anyone who begins to take lessons from Yoly will quickly find out just how fortunate they have become.
· Piano · In studio Both my daughters (beginner and intermediate level) were students of Yoly's before she relocated to LA. I feel they both really learned to enjoy piano when with Yoly; she'll work with her students to find something they really enjoy playing. Her relaxed and friendly manner put the girls at ease and made lessons fun. At the same time, a yearly recital and National Guild auditions gave my daughters something to strive for and to excel in. I would highly recommend Yoly as a piano teacher! Even when she moved, she gave gave us a great referral to another excellent teacher - that's how dedicated and concerned Yoly is for her students. We miss her!
· Piano · In studio Yoly is an excellent piano teacher armed with an incredible love for teaching.
I am a new student and she treats me as though i have been in her class for years. Very helpful understanding and has a way with her that is gentle and thoughtful. You want to keep the lesson going even though its time to end it.
Yoly is classically trained but be assured she knows all genres and she takes pride in her work, Yoly is an absolute joy to be around.
She inspires me to do better and is an incredible source of encouragement and inspiration over the past 6 months.
She has my highest recommendation to anyone who wants to learn the piano.
· Piano · In studio I have taken lessons from Yoly for over 5 years. I started piano as an adult so I needed a teacher who was patient and understanding. Yoly exceeded all of my expectations. In addition to being an excellent teacher with complete knowledge of practical and theoretical music, she is a most caring and kind person. Yoly knows just the right amount of encouragement to provide to keep me going. I have steadily improved under her guidance and enjoy my lessons and playing equally. I recommend Yoly to any and all levels of expertise. She is a gem.
· Piano · In studio I love Yoly, she is a great teacher. She is patient and considerate and she is interested in how I am learning, not just learning the exercises. I want to practice more and I have picked up other instruments as well. There are lots of colorful theory and projects to go along with the music that Yoly teaches. It makes learning fun and enjoyable. Although it feels like play there is a lot of theory that is absorbed. As a certified teacher and piano grade examiner Yoly prepares me for all my tests in a relaxed and supportive way.
· Piano · In studio Yoly is the teacher that you remember when you think about a great teacher. I fell in love with piano first but working with Yoly I am continuing to learn how to appreciate and develop this love for the piano and for music in general. She is so enthusiastic about the piano and about teaching. She personally hosts recitals every year where students can have an experience of performing in front of an audience. These recitals are a great way to bring the lessons all together. The lessons incorporate musicianship, theory, creativity and skill, with some fun added in. Yoly is an amazing piano player and teacher.
· Piano · In studio Yoly is a dedicated and attentive teacher. She has an incredible repertoire of styles of music and has great depth and breadth in her appreciation of genres. Yoly is classically trained and provides a solid foundation for diversifying into different varieties of music. In addition, Yoly is very charming and accessible, great insight into teaching piano. Yoly’s dedication, not just to music but to my learning continues to enrich my life. With Yoly her teaching is not just about the piano but about the significance of music.
· Piano · In studio Yolande Witkin is a wonderful piano teacher who's enthusiasm for music shines in her lessons. She motivates students to strive to do their best, and is open to instruct them in different types of piano music, from classical to modern. I really enjoyed my lessons with her and I learned so much about getting the most enjoyment from the piano. I was truly sad when she moved to a different city and was unable to continue my lessons with her. Anyone who chooses Yolande Witkin for a teacher will not be disappointed. Thanks for the great piano lessons, Yoly!
Your student, Liana-Melissa Allen, 17 years old
Note: My daughter's comments about Yolande Witkin express my sentiments, also. She is a fabulous and genuinely personable teacher of the piano! Yoly is so good, that I was considering taking piano lessons with her, too.
R P Allen