I hold a degree from Hamline University in St. Paul, MN, but that doesn't make me a good teacher. I've played professionally for over 25 years, have taught English as a Second Language, Hockey and Audio Engineering, taught people age 5 to 75, and have taught private music lessons full time in Minneapolis for the past 9 years, but this doesn't make me a good teacher. What makes me a good teacher is that I have an infectious love of music and a passionate commitment to helping people. I do have specialties, like helping singer/songwriters develop their lyrics, arrangements, voice, and performance as well as helping artists get through creativity blocks, stage fright and preparing for studio recording. My experience as a producer, studio musician and audio engineer has allowed me to understand what an artist needs from writing a song to releasing a CD that represents who you are at your best. I love what I do whether you have aspirations to be a professional musician or simply want you or your child to enjoy playing an instrument for yourself or friends and family.
*** Lesson Details ***
From the first lesson, my students learn, they grow, they feel good about themselves - and they get results. Whether adult, teenager or child, I find out what music inspires and I use this music to give access to learning regardless of level. Whether a Disney song, the Doors, or Debussy, I fuel your lesson with what lights you up. I am positive, attentive and also discerning. Quickly, I find out what learning style works best for my student; by ear, visually, or intellectually, and I spend the time to customize their materials and lesson plans to an extraordinary degree. If a student thrives with me being highly energized, or with me being more mellow, or if they have special needs, I'm able to adapt to what works best for my student. It is a joy and privilege to be a teacher, but especially a music teacher!
*** Studio Equipment ***
I have instruments, amps, laptop, mics...anything we need.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I often allow new students to use a loaner guitar of mine until they feel comfortable committing to purchasing their own. I help them find the right guitar for themselves by searching for used gear and accompanying them to the store. I provide all audio files and written materials.
*** Specialties ***
I teach ALL styles. I most often teach students wanting to play and sing songs from pop, show tunes, alternative, country, rock, singer/songwriter and jazz standards. I specialize in songwriting and often my students create their own compositions regardless of level. Improvisation (just playing!) is also a key part of my teaching.
Teaching creativity and self-expression to disadvantage high school students.
· Acoustic Guitar · Online Dietrich did a great job and helped me achieve my goals with harmonica and guitar
· Singing · In studio I had an amazing experience with Diedrich!! He was very astute to my needs and my goals. He was very patient but at the same time was able to motivate me to work harder. I came for vocal lessons but at the same time he instructed me on guitar basics, it was the first time taking a guitar lesson. I always left feeling upbeat and a tad more accomplished!! Thanks Diedrich!!
· Acoustic Guitar · Online Does a great job of tailoring lessons to match your musical goals. Very patient
· Guitar · In home Diedrich makes you feel comfortable starting lessons at any age or skill level! He made learning guitar very enjoyable, and encouraged me to use my "inner ear" when playing. Diedrich also encouraged me to practice singing along with playing guitar, something that I had not felt comfortable doing previous to taking lessons. He takes the time to tailor the lessons to your personal style and needs. Diedrich is a great teacher!
· Harmonica · Online I'm a middle aged guy with no musical experience. My wife got me lessons for Christmas. Dietrich got me playing the harmonica and I liked it so much I started on guitar. He is very patient and gives bite sized stuff to work on. He's the best!
· Singing · In studio Diedrich is an amazing vocal coach. I really enjoyed my time taking singing lessons with him. He made it fun to learn and he found ways to relate the teaching material to real life situations to make learning easier. He was able to help me become a better singer where I feel more confident in my sound and tone. I'll continue to use him in future lessons.
· Singing · In studio Diedrich was very patient and helpful. He tailored the lesson to my experience and what I was looking for. He had exercises and recordings to help me practice at home. I am looking forward to my next lesson.
· Singing · In studio Diedrich is a terrific teacher able to convey concepts in terms all levels of students can understand and benefit from musically. A true musical soul who really loves to share his talents in a genuine way!
· Songwriting · In studio You really couldn't ask for a better teacher than Diedrich. I've been working with him for about a year on songwriting, singing, and guitar, and have improved so much more than I ever expected. I had no songwriting experience when I started, and with his help, I've gained the skills and confidence to write songs I feel good about. He’s patient, supportive, and genuinely cares about helping you be the best you can be. I always walk away from lessons feeling like I understand something I didn't before. He’s inspiring to learn from. You’d be lucky to have him as a teacher.
· Singing · In studio I’m a lifetime student and decided to take voice lessons this year. Diedrich has been an amazing teacher. He spends time getting to know the student and learning her goals to create the best plan for her. He’s a great listener and observer which allows him to quickly adapt to the students needs.
No need to look for another teacher in the Twin Cities. If you’re reading this, you've found the best and should book your first lesson now.