- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+
- Teaching since:
- June 1996
Lessons on Guitar, Electric and Upright Bass, flute, songwriting and music theory
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
More than 20 years experience as a performer, teacher and group leader with a focus on music, language and art. Self-motivated and skilled at developing curriculum materials for use in the creative classroom. Worked with a diverse clientele of adults and children, including those with special needs.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Oxford Seminars, Providence, RI
Berklee College of Music
Advanced Studies in Performance and Composition
Professional Musician and Teacher
• Multi-instrumental performer-electric/acoustic bass, guitar, flute, drums, percussion and electronics
• Clinician for SF JAZZ-Discover Jazz Series, 2009-2012
English Language Instructor
EF International, Mills College, Oakland, CA, 2011
Director of Bass Studies
University of Massachusetts, North Dartmouth, MA, 2006-2008
• Taught Jazz, Brazilian and Afro-Cuban style bass lessons
• Conducted and arranged for Brazilian music ensemble
Ensemble Director, Clinician and Outreach Performer
The Music School of the Rhode Island Philharmonic, Providence, RI 2002-2008
• Taught private guitar and bass lessons to children and adults
• Directed rock, jazz and afro-cuban ensembles
• Performed clinics with Music School Latin Jazz ensemble
ESL Program Assistant
Rhode Island Family Literacy Initiative, Providence, RI, 2001
• Developed arts and crafts curriculum and instructed children in ESL program
Groden Center for the Developmentally Disabled, Providence, RI 1999-200
• Led self-developed art and music programs
• Café du Nord, Jeff Parker/Scott Amendola-2009
• Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, Golden Gate Park-2010
• European Tour, Jeff Parker Trio-2002
• Residency at The Boston Harbor Hotel, Nina Ott Trio-2000
• Chicago Jazz Festival, Chicago Jazz Underground-1997
• Bright Light in Winter (Delmark) Jeff Parker Trio-2012
• The Relatives (Thrill Jockey) Jeff Parker-2005
• Like Coping (Delmark) Jeff Parker Trio-2000
• Las Aventuras de Pasion (JazzMA Records) Kat Parra-2012
• Garage (Glimpse) Glimpse Trio-2012
• Beautiful Day (Eastern Woods) Peter Janson-2006
• 50 Years of Jazz and Blues (Delmark) compilation-2003
• Playground (Delmark) Rob Mazurek-1998
My studio is equipped with Pro-Tools and Sibelius software, and a Yamaha C3 Baby Grand Piano
My hobbies include hiking, biking, photography, cooking and movies.
*** Lesson Details ***
At the same time that I'm helping you to enjoy yourself and play the music you want to play, I will be guiding you through the basics of music, so you will be acquiring skills for your future
I have alot of experience and musical materials to work with and I do not hold to one established method because it's important for me to learn what works for each student-that's why all of my lessons are "custom-made" for you.
I have been told that I have a "laid-back and unassuming" teaching style. Usually, my students are having such a good time that I have to remind them how much they are learning about music and how well they are learning to play!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Pro-Tools and Mac Book, Sibelius and Yamaha Grand Piano
*** Travel Equipment ***
In my home I have amplifiers and recording devices and a laptop computer with wifi.
*** Specialties ***
Jazz, Afro Cuban Brazilian, Funk, Rock, Blues
Learning with popular songs, world grooves, and either Mel Bay of Alfred Method Books
What a gem! Chris was a replacement for my son's bass teacher who had moved. Reluctant to say the least of our ability to replace and find someone as compatible as the last teacher. Chris went beyond and above our expectations! My son adapted to him immediately. Chris was incredibly patient, professional and knowledgeable. My son looked forward to spending time with Chris in order to master a song, learn a new one or learn new techniques. Chris was available even out of lessons. A true mentor that we will miss! Thanks for everything Chris!
Very knowledgeable from jazz to funk, soul, rock, and classical. Patient, fun, energetic. Always stoked to practice after a lesson with Chris!
I have been playing rock, funk, and classical guitar for 13+ years and wanted to take up bass. Chris quickly showed me the basics - from fingering-styles to classic bass-player progressions and fills to get me going in a band right away. He got me playing lines from some of his favorite players, who are now some of my favs, but also was able to transcribe and teach me anything I brought to him.
I also play guitar in a band and recently Chris has been teaching me jazz chords, progressions, and licks- I had always wanted to learn some jazz guitar and I was surprised to see how good Chris was on the guitar too! Going back and forth between bass and guitar has helped me understand both instruments in different ways and taken my music in new, exciting directions.
Chris is very patient but he also really gets into the lessons. His excitement is contagious and I'm also really impressed with his knowledge. I like how he gives me as much information as I want at the time- he's down to simply show me "a cool progression" or analyze the theory behind it, dissect the chord, and talk about voice leading.
I have been with Chris for a year and a half now and hope to continue with him for as long as possible- there is always something in my folder of lessons to keep me motivated and busy. He is also cool with me taking video of the lessons which helps tremendously since I am a visual and auditory learner.
Thanks Chris, looking forward to my next lesson!
Chris was great
Our son had been working with another teacher and was not really enjoying the experience. Once we switched to Chris his attitude improved, his practicing improved and he overall enjoyed playing much more than before.
Our only regret is that he left Rhode Island for the west coast.