Ukulele students start with five subjects.
1) Technique is concerned with the development of the physical mechanics involved in playing the instrument.
2) Scales are a part of basic music vocabulary and building blocks of the musical language.
3) Chords are also basic vocabulary of the musical language.
4) Note reading is not required for every student. It really depends on the students' goals. However, I strongly encourage everyone learn to read musical notation, (more than tablature). Literacy in reading music is analogous to literacy in reading in our English language. Can you imagine how much smaller our world would be if we couldn't read?
5) Songs utilize the skills and concepts of all the previously mentioned subjects and are the goal of studying music. The student chooses what songs they want to play, guided by my suggestions; Jazz, rock, blues, country, bluegrass, R &B - "How deep is the ocean, how high is the sky?"
A beginning student will practice ...
I have been teaching ukulele for 5 years. I teach in a therapeutic style, using my music therapy training to be as observant, adaptive and flexible as I need to be for the student's benefit. I teach at the student's pace and to their interests, while building their musicality, music theory, and performance skills. I often incorporate singing into ukulele lessons as well. 1-2 times a year, we work towards building a repertoire of 1-4 pieces (depending on the student) to play at a local assisted living facility or skilled nursing facility.
You will be able to learn a variety of chords. Bring me a specific song you would like to learn, and I will teach you what you need to know how to play that song. I will teach you easy ways to play each chord as well as provide a capo for you when you finish your first song with me !
I've been playing Ukulele for 5 years now and love it! It's a great instrument and perfect for beginners starting out on string instruments. Whether you simply want to learn songs or the techniques behind them, I'm here to help you reach your musical goals!
Compare hundreds of teachers based on the criteria that matter to you, including background checks, age and experience.
When you've found the perfect match, schedule your lessons online using the teacher's real-time availability.
Your teacher will welcome you with a personalized curriculum to meet your specific goals and you'll be able to manage your entire schedule through our free online account.
Zero travel time is great for a busy schedule.
Typically priced lower than local lessons.
Online students stick with lessons as long as local students.
Take your voice to the next level. Download free video tutorials to start singing like the star you are!
Getting Started with Music Lessons guides you through selecting a teacher & preparing for your first lesson.
Kickstart your guitar playing. Download free video tutorials to learn about chord progressions, strumming, and more!
Our online tools make booking, managing your schedule and paying for lessons easy and hassle-free.
Easily search and compare teachers in your area, including past student reviews and background checks.
If you're not completely satisfied, we'll help you find a new teacher or refund any unused lesson credits.