I am a professional classical guitar performer I study and perform guitar at ASU
I also have been teaching classical guitar for over 20 years and teach it traditionally as well as contemporarily to show how many techniques can be applied to other styles of music
I teach the very basics in playing the classical guitar such as how to hold the guitar, correct finger placement, picking and strumming techniques, learning notes on the guitar, reading tablature, guitar scales, music theory, and learning to play simple classical songs. I have been playing the guitar since I was 10 years old and have had a great deal of experience playing all genres of music including Classical music.
Classical guitar students start with five subjects.
1) Technique is concerned with the development of the physical mechanics involved in playing the instrument.
2) Scales are a part of basic music vocabulary and building blocks of the musical language.
3) Chords are also basic vocabulary of the musical language.
4) Note reading is not required for every student. It really depends on the students' goals. However, I strongly encourage everyone learn to read musical notation, (more than tablature). Literacy in reading music is analogous to literacy in reading in our English language. Can you imagine how much smaller our world would be if we couldn't read?
5) Classical repertoire (songs) utilize the skills and concepts of all the previously mentioned subjects and are the goal of studying music. And by the way, they are really fun to play.
A beginning student will practice all these subjects as part of the daily practice routine. A half hour practice session will ...
I was a student of master guitarist Christopher Parkening as a graduate music student.
Compare hundreds of teachers based on the criteria that matter to you, including background checks, age and experience.
When you've found the perfect match, schedule your lessons online using the teacher's real-time availability.
Your teacher will welcome you with a personalized curriculum to meet your specific goals and you'll be able to manage your entire schedule through our free online account.
Zero travel time is great for a busy schedule.
Typically priced lower than local lessons.
Online students stick with lessons as long as local students.
Take your voice to the next level. Download free video tutorials to start singing like the star you are!
Getting Started with Music Lessons guides you through selecting a teacher & preparing for your first lesson.
Kickstart your guitar playing. Download free video tutorials to learn about chord progressions, strumming, and more!
Our online tools make booking, managing your schedule and paying for lessons easy and hassle-free.
Easily search and compare teachers in your area, including past student reviews and background checks.
If you're not completely satisfied, we'll help you find a new teacher or refund any unused lesson credits.