Through my work with the M Gray Music Academy (Macy Gray) and my tenure at the Hollywood School of Rock as teacher and Show Director, I have developed successful programs for students ranging in age from 5 years old and beyond. I have mentored numerous young musical groups in beneficial rehearsal techniques, live performance and basically all the things you need to know about being in a band that wants to be great!
Bass guitar students start with five subjects.
1) Technique is concerned with the development of the physical mechanics involved in playing the instrument.
2) Scales are part of the basic vocabulary and building blocks of the musical language.
3) Intervals are also basic vocabulary of the musical language and progress into chords, and yes, bass players think and play chords.
4) Note reading is not required for every student. It really depends on the student's goals. However, I strongly encourage learning to read musical notation, (more than tablature). Literacy in reading music is analogous to literacy in reading in our English language. Can you imagine how much smaller our world would be if we couldn't read?
5) Songs utilize the skills and concepts of all the previously mentioned subjects and are the goal of studying music. And by the way, they are really fun to play, especially when interacting with other musicians or performing for an audience.
These five ...
Teaching over 20 years.
Compare hundreds of teachers based on the criteria that matter to you, including background checks, age and experience.
When you've found the perfect match, schedule your lessons online using the teacher's real-time availability.
Your teacher will welcome you with a personalized curriculum to meet your specific goals and you'll be able to manage your entire schedule through our free online account.
Zero travel time is great for a busy schedule.
Typically priced lower than local lessons.
Online students stick with lessons as long as local students.
Take your voice to the next level. Download free video tutorials to start singing like the star you are!
Getting Started with Music Lessons guides you through selecting a teacher & preparing for your first lesson.
Kickstart your guitar playing. Download free video tutorials to learn about chord progressions, strumming, and more!
Our online tools make booking, managing your schedule and paying for lessons easy and hassle-free.
Easily search and compare teachers in your area, including past student reviews and background checks.
If you're not completely satisfied, we'll help you find a new teacher or refund any unused lesson credits.