Find Tutors in Cliffwood
Looking for private in-home or online tutoring? Our Cliffwood tutors are ready to get you started. Search today!
Search for a teacher
Schedule your lessons
Connect with your teacher
Zero travel time is great for a busy schedule.
Typically priced lower than local lessons.
Online students stick with lessons as long as local students.
Helma Christiane Bloomberg"
And they're not alone!
Our teachers have taught
lessons and counting!
*** Lesson Details ***
Tailoring each lesson to the individual needs of my students, I use a multi-faceted approach that includes memory, sight reading, ear-training and theory. This way students quickly build their repertoire and confidence on their instrument. Sing-a-longs train the musical ear, clapping reinforces rhythmic training, and new, exciting music strengthens reading skills. We often pla
*** Studio Equipment ***
Yamaha Grand Piano, Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Classical Guitar
*** Travel Equipment ***
Guitar and my jeep
*** Specialties ***
When teaching piano, because I specialize in classical, I emphasize sight-reading, theory and performance from the very first lesson. As soon as possible, I have student memorize pieces appropriate to their level. I begin each lesson with memory work, move into sight-reading and analysis of the new work, or exercise. This way a student has a multi-faceted approach to music they are learning, and once they have learned it, they are continually adding to their repertoire. I work this way because many students are overwhelmed at the beginning of the learning stage. Examining the theory behind the composition helps them understand it, and approach it with less apprehension. Also, having pieces they can play from memory every week reminds them of the finished product of their labor and encourages them towards the new work.
Jennifer is knowledgeable of her craft, patience, encouraging and both Elijah and I are thrill that she sharing one of her many loves with us. Even when Elijah is trying her patience she remains cool, calm and collective...very professional
she's a good instructor that listens, understands and carries her students along just for u to learn and understand too the basic concept of being a great player.
View Full Profile
My teaching style is highly energetic, and engages the development of the student's self-esteem and enjoyment, but is also focused on a foundational technique and strong work-ethic. I am extraordinarily proud of the accomplishments many of my students have made, from achieving principal parts in their school productions, to even getting cast in Broadway shows. I am determined to help every on
As a tutor, my approach is no different. Trained in the highly specialized and effective Lindamood-Bell programs, I have an intuitive grasp of children's needs and levels. I teach decoding, math, and reading comprehension, and nurture students' self-esteem and independence in their learning.
*** Lesson Details ***
I give lessons in 30, 45, and 60 minute increments. Each lesson will be personalized to the specific needs of the student.
· Music Theory · In home
We practice together the scale degrees that are designated by Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3...), chor ds are similarly designated by Roman numerals (I, II, III). For example, in the key of C major the notes are C,D,E,F,G,A,B and we have designated them as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. However, when we consider the triad chords in the key of C we have Cmaj, Dm, Em, Fmaj, Gmaj, Am, Bdim. These are designated I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VII. When speaking about these chords, for instance in the key of C major, we would call Gmaj the five chord, Dm the two chord,
Cornel's review of Mariana
· Music Theory · In home
· Singing · In studio
She really knows her stuff and technique. I'd been to a few voice teachers before and they were great singers, but they didn't seem to have to really KNOW the techniques behind singing. Mariana clearly is a wonderful singer and has great training in what she does.
As a teacher, I draw on my professional experience as an actor and singer, my teaching background in myriad subjects (Feldenkrais, Music Together, general music, theatre, yoga, fitness, literature, etc.), and my eclectic training in acting, classical voice, musical theatre, various methods of body work, and healing.
I strive to create a working environment where students feel safe to take risks, learn to challenge themselves, and find increased joy and freedom in expression. Self-awareness/body
Though I have a long background in performing arts and performing arts education, my teaching philosophies and techniques draw primarily from my study of movement and mindfulness through disciplines such as yoga, and especially the Feldenkrais Method, "a remarkable approach to human movement, learning and change... based on sound principles of physics, neurology and physiology, and the conditions under which the nervous system learns best." (The Feldenkrais Institute, NY, NY, 2013).
- Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement Teacher
- Feldenkrais Practitioner Training Program certification in process
- Bachelor of Music, Highest Honors, SUNY Binghamton
- Professional singing in the US and Europe
- Professional acting throughout the US, theater and film (member of SAG-AFTRA and AEA)
- 100+ hours of YA approved yoga teacher training
- Eclectic studies in voice and body work (Linklater, Sound Healing, various dance styles, Kinetic Awareness, Tai Chi, Beijing Opera techniques)
- Kids/family music teacher certified by Music Together (an amazing, international, research-based program)
- Teaching artist (opera, chorus, musical theater, acting/improv, mindfulness) at schools around NYC - Bronx High School for Law and Finanace, PS 129, Yorkville East MS, Baruch MS, Anderson MS, PS 3
- Former fitness instructor
Finding mastery in practices of music, acting, and mindfulness have core similarities - when you find your flow, it feels like flying. But we have to start from the ground up. The stronger the foundation, the higher you fly. Let's get started!
Notes on teaching locations:
- HOME STUDIO: For a number of reasons, I prefer to teach at my home studio whenever possible. I have two friendly cats - hope you aren't allergic!
- ONLINE: For some students, online lessons are very effective, but for others, it is imperative to meet in person. So if you would like to try online lessons, please message me first to discuss,
· Meditation · In studio
· Singing · In studio
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio
• 10+ years of teaching, training, & tutoring experience.
• Tutoring for many undergraduate courses in math/statistics & economics/econometrics, as well as select courses in biology, physics, social sciences, computer science, systems engineering, and other subjects / areas. Select graduate course assistance offered as well.
• Tutoring for GRE/GMAT and SAT/ACT tests offered with individualized gameplan/schedule. Tutoring for SAT II, GRE II, MCAT / DAT / OAT / PCAT / NCLEX tests also offered.
• Help with high school and middle school curriculum in math, quantitative sciences, social sciences, writing. Help with IB & AP classes and corresponding exams.
• National Merit Scholar & several (10+) AP Tests in High School.
• Will give personal scores upon request.
· Bridge · Online
· Statistics · Online
My name is Sheila and I have been teaching ESL and GED for almost 6 years now. I have taught in both classrooms and privately in New York City. My degree in English Literature is from Columbia University in 2007. My studies included Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and French. While not fluent in all the languages, I have a basic understating of their structure. Thank you for reading and I hope we can learn together.
· Creative Writing · Online
· Creative Writing · In studio
View Full Profile
ETS develops and administers the SAT, the Advance Placement Program, and other programs on behalf of the College Board. While at ETS, I was instrumental in writing Business Requirements for the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) Mobile Application listening and reading tests. These tests set the standard for assessing English-language listening and reading skills needed in the workplace.
The NJDOE initiated the New Jersey No Child Left Behind (NJNCLB) initiative. This program significantly changed the schools’ role in K-12 education by focusing on success as measured by student achievement of all students including English-languag
I have also worked in the Telecom and Financial industries writing Business Requirements. I taught Sunday School for many years to elementary, middle and high school students. My background enables me to teach students the many building blocks of effective reading as well as how to comprehend reading assignments. As you know, comprehension ensures students are acquiring knowledge from the texts they are reading. This will allow them to evaluate and discuss ideas, events, and information about the text; apply and extend these ideas to real life situations; apply and extend these ideas to other texts; determine and remember the most important points in the text; and read "between the lines" to understand underlying meanings.
My passion is to see my students excel in reading. I firmly believe that reading is essential to unlocking potential and shaping minds. I want my students to reach their reading aspirations while having a great time. I looks forward to meeting you and helping you to become a better reader. Send me a message and let’s get started!
Everyone has their own reasons for learning a language, but here's what they all share in common: receiving life-changing benefits. In this article, language teacher Carol Beth will show you six social benefits of learning a foreign language... Learning a foreign language can benefit you in real and measurable ways. In fact, the benefits of being bilingual include higher salaries, more job opportunities, and healthier lives. And yet, despite evidence that learning a foreign langu … Read More