Do you need a little inspiration to get you through your violin lessons? When learning a new instrument, especially one as complex as the violin, it’s normal to feel frustrated or defeated. Even the most famous violin players have felt insecure about their playing at one point or another during their career.
Instead of admitting defeat and giving up, it’s important that you overcome these feelings of frustration and remember the many reasons why you first started playing the violin. Below are 10 inspirational quotes from current and past famous violin players to help you stay motivated and keep positive.
1. “The discipline of practice every day is essential. When I skip a day, I notice a difference in my playing. After two days, the critics notice, and after three days, so does the audience.”
– Jascha Heifetz, renowned violinist who is synonymous with technique and musicianship
2. “The only reason I am successful is because I have stayed true to myself.”
-Lindsey Stirling, an American violinist and 2015 winner of the Billboard Music Award for Top Dance/Electronic Album
3. “The stage is the best experience in the world. It’s a great compliment to be able to share the music…”
-Vanessa Mae, British classical and electronic violinist with an estimated 10 million CD copies sold
4. “To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts—such is the duty of the artist.”
-Robert Schumann, German composer in the Romantic era
5. “I know that the most joy in my life has come to me from my violin.”
-Albert Einstein, physicist and amateur violin player
6. “When you play a violin piece, you are a storyteller, and you’re telling a story.”
-Joshua Bell, celebrated violinist who has recorded more than 40 CDs throughout his career
7. “What does it mean to be a ‘successful’ musician? You can play a hundred or a thousand concerts, as long as there are two or three occasions that you remember yourself.”
-Ivry Gitlis, renowned Israeli violinist who has performed with the world’s top orchestras
8. “The aim was for perfection, but perfection can be like a computer programme. Of course, I’m not saying you should play out of tune or be messy, but there has to be a balance.”
-Viktoria Mullova, highly-decorated and Grammy nominated Russian violinist
9. “Art is not in some far-off place. A work of Art is the expression of a man’s whole personality, sensibility and ability.”
-Shinichi Suzuki, violinist and creator of the Suzuki method of music education
10. “Music is about devotion, and knowing when to be free.”
-Leonidas Kavakos, Greek violinist and conductor who has won several international competitions
Mastering different violin techniques can be difficult. It’s important, however, that you don’t give up. Whether you’re having a hard time mastering a particular technique or need some motivation for an upcoming audition, use these quotes from famous violin players to help inspire you!