Ready to make 2016 your best year yet? Many vocalists stood out last year, and looking at their strategies and success stories can be a great source of inspiration — especially if you want to be famous someday! Read on as voice teacher Molly R. shares her thoughts…
Looking for some vocal inspiration? Check out these top talented singers who are worth watching in 2016 and beyond. From soulful ballads to empowering anthems, these artists have something special to offer. So, sit back, relax, and be prepared to be inspired!
What Makes a Singer Talented?
There are many qualities that make a singer talented. A good voice is obviously important, but it is not the only factor:
- Good vocal technique is also essential, as it allows the singer to control their voice and produce a variety of sounds.
- Another important quality is stage presence. A talented singer knows how to work a crowd and keep them engaged. They also have the ability to connect with their audience on an emotional level.
- Finally, a good singing voice is not just about technical ability. A truly talented singer has the ability to convey emotion and tell a story through their music.
This rare combination of qualities is what sets truly talented singers apart from the rest.
Are you ready to become one of 2022 (or beyond’s) best and most talented singers? If so, you should start your journey by taking singing lessons. It’s the best way to learn everything there is to know in order to perfect your craft. Check out the video below for a quick sample of what you might cover in your lessons:
Most Talented Singers of 2016 and Beyond
This original post was written in 2016 – and to recognize the timeliness of that most talented singers post, we’re including the original roundup. But it’s also a good idea for us to recognize some of the other wonderful singers who have made the last few years so special!
After all, 2015 was a stellar year for lots of talented and famous singers. It seemed like you couldn’t go anywhere without hearing about Taylor Swift and Adele, just to name two that stand out. Singers like those two generated a lot of buzz, and who wouldn’t want that?
As we dive into 2016, it’s a great time to reflect on your goals as a singer. Do you want to be a famous singer someday? Do you want to start small, and overcome your stage fright? Do you want to learn how to write a song? Whatever your goals may be, there’s a lot you can learn from the big artists of the past year. Here are some ways you can incorporate their major successes into your own New Year’s singer resolutions!
What You Can Learn: Collaborate
If you want to become a well-known singer within the music industry, your work is never done. Once you get yourself out there, you need to keep yourself out there!
To get extra buzz, many artists create more performance opportunities by collaborating with other singers — which can be especially effective if it’s unexpected pairing. You can learn a lot from Irish singer Hozier; check out his electrifying Grammy performance with Annie Lennox here:
On a smaller scale, you could ask another singer to be your duet partner for karaoke, or perhaps get a small group of singers together and put together a cabaret night!
What You Can Learn: Know when to rest
It’s tempting to say “yes” to everything, especially when you are just starting out. It’s great to be passionate about singing, but remember you’re human! You only get one voice, so be careful with it.
Just look at Adele, the hottest artist of the year: she underwent major vocal surgery a few years ago, yet didn’t jump back into performing right away because she wanted to take her time healing. Not only that— she has also become a proud mom and wanted to put family first!
Make it a goal to have balance in your life. Feeling worn out after a run of another musical, even though there’s another one holding auditions for vocalists next week? Ask yourself if you need a break, and really listen to your body.
Artist: Taylor Swift
What You Can Learn: Market yourself
You may have heard the advice “you gotta have a gimmick!” That’s originally from the musical “Gypsy”, and it’s often true!
Being a talented singer is one thing, but what makes you interesting to your audience? Singers need to be savvy about marketing themselves. Taylor Swift happens to be brilliant at this. We should all look to her as an expert on a variety of things! She has revamped her image completely (country to pop!), she’s always out and about with her huge fan base, and how about that “squad” of hers?
Ok, so a lot of that’s pretty hard to do if you’re… well… not Taylor. But here’s what you CAN do: get out there in your community! Offer to sing at fundraisers, nursing homes, and so on. Show that you’re a singer with character who cares about a few causes. And yes, why not build up a “squad” of your own? Make this squad filled with trusted accompanists, like voice teachers, dancers, and other singers. Connecting with a group of like-minded artists is essential for your growth!
Artists: Tori Kelly and Shawn Mendes
What You Can Learn: Keep plugging away
YouTube is where today’s singer hopes to be noticed. But you’ll want to have a strategy in mind. Are your videos high quality? Are you posting good content? How often? What are you doing to promote your music videos? How about your audience — what are you doing to grow them? Are you cross-promoting across other social media channels, like Twitter and Instagram? These are the important questions to ask.
To get inspired, take a look at the success story of Tori Kelly! She was eliminated from American Idol, but took matters into her own hands and built up a huge YouTube following. Shawn Mendes, another great artist to learn from, got his start on Vine and now has a top 10 hit and a recording contract.
Of course, you’re not restricted to finding an audience online, or with one of those platforms specifically. The key is to keep plugging away— in any medium! Whether it’s YouTube or a local coffee shop, keep giving your best to your audience.
Even More Talented Singers
There’s no question that the music industry is filled with talented singers. But there are some performers who stand out above the rest. Ed Sheeran, Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, The Weeknd, Justin Bieber, Dua Lipa, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Sam Smith, Charlie Puth, Demi Lovato, and Olivia Rodrigo are all incredibly gifted vocalists. What sets them apart from other singers?
Here are a few more talented singers to consider on your quest to become a better singer:
- Ed Sheeran is known for his versatility. He’s able to switch between genres effortlessly and has a vast repertoire of songs. If you’re looking to broaden your musical horizons, take a cue from Sheeran and explore different styles of music.
- Billie Eilish has a unique voice that is instantly recognizable. She also writes her own songs, which allows her to express her feelings and thoughts in a very personal way. If you’re struggling to find your own voice, try writing your own songs.
- Ariana Grande is a master of showmanship. Her live performances are breathtaking and she always leaves her fans wanting more. If you want to create a truly unforgettable performance, take a page from Grande’s book and put on a show that will wow your audience.
- The Weeknd is known for his soulful voice and emotional lyrics. If you’re looking to connect with your audience on a deeper level, try drawing inspiration from The Weeknd’s music.
- Justin Bieber is one of the most successful pop stars in the world. He’s able to connect with his fans in a way that few other performers can. If you want to achieve similar success, focus on building a strong connection with your fans.
- Dua Lipa is a gifted singer and songwriter with a unique style. She’s known for her catchy pop hooks and powerful vocal performances. What you can learn from Dua Lipa is the importance of having a strong personal brand. She’s built a devoted following by being true to herself and her artistry.
- Beyonce is one of the most successful singers of all time. She’s an incredible performer with a legendary work ethic. What you can learn from Beyonce is the importance of hard work and dedication. If you want to be successful, you have to be willing to put in the hours and put your all into your craft.
- Lady Gaga is a boundary-pushing artist who isn’t afraid to take risks. She’s constantly evolving her sound and reinventing her image. What you can learn from Lady Gaga is the importance of staying true to yourself. No matter what anyone else says or thinks, always stay true to who you are as an artist.
- Sam Smith is a soulful singer with a unique voice. He’s known for his emotive lyrics and heart-wrenching ballads. What you can learn from Sam Smith is the importance of being vulnerable in your artistry. He isn’t afraid to bare his soul through his music, and that openness is part of what makes him so special.
- Charlie Puth is a multi-talented singer, songwriter, and producer. He’s known for his catchy pop tunes and ability to craft hits for other artists. What you can learn from Charlie Puth is the importance of staying relevant. In an ever-changing industry, it’s important to keep up with trends and find new ways to stay relevant.
- Demi Lovato is a powerhouse vocalist with a long history in the entertainment industry. She’s known for her empowering messages and inspiring songs about overcoming adversity. What you can learn from Demi Lovato is the importance of using your platform for good. She uses her fame to speak out about important issues and help others who are going through tough times.
- Olivia Rodrigo is a gifted singer and songwriter who burst onto the scene with her hit single “Drivers License.” She’s known for her relatable lyrics and raw talent. What you can learn from Olivia Rodrigo is the importance of being authentic in your artistry. Her songs resonated with so many people because they were genuine and relatable. seek emotion in your music if you want it to connect with people on a deep level.”
You Can Become One of the Most Talented Singers, Too!
Now… put your learning into practice!
No matter what your resolution is as a singer, remember to bring your best vocally every time. Look at what other successful and famous singers are doing, and find what you can learn from them. Working with a great voice teacher is also key — he or she can help you become a better singer, and may even have insider advice or a network to connect you with.
Happy New Year, and happy singing!