Kids are much more likely to practice drums when they’re having fun, and that starts with song selection. Here, San Diego, CA drum teacher Maegan W. shares some easy drum songs that are kid tested and parent approved…
If you want to keep your child interested in playing drums and motivated to practice, you have to make sure they’re having fun. So many music teachers are stuck in the past when it comes to choosing practice songs, but that’s boring for kids.
Here are some easy drum songs that your child will love.
First, we need to make sure that your son or daughter knows how to play a basic drum beat. Here’s a quick overview:
- Count to four over and over again
- Play the hi-hat on all four counts
- Add the bass drum to the one and the three
- Add the snare drum to the two and the four
- Listen to these songs and groove along
- Have fun!
Now that we’ve got that settled, let’s get to the drum songs for kids. Remember, the beat above is a basic beginner beat. Feel free to add to it. The nice thing about that beat is that it will fit with most of the songs below. The only changes you will see are the tempos and the fills.
In my experience teaching kids, I have noticed that many of them really love show and movie theme songs. So here are a few of the most popular ones.
Parents, remember to always listen to the songs first. Only you can decide what is appropriate for your child.
- Pokemon. Kids love pretty much anything Pokemon. Some of the most popular songs are the “Pokemon Theme Song,” “Pokemon World,” Pokemon Moves Like Jagger,” and “Pokemon Johto.”
- The Lego Movie theme song “Everything is Awesome.” This song is a bit quick, and has a half-time feel in certain parts, but it’s great to practice going between speeds.
- “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme” This is a cool song with a hip hop feel.
Moving on from movie and show songs, a lot of students really like the Pentatonix covers. This band does an incredible job with popular songs, and kids love them.
Here are the top two drum songs for kids:
More Fun Songs for Kids
Finally, here are my top five picks for easy drum songs for kids. I usually search for the “clean version” to avoid any videos with inappropriate lyrics.
- Maroon 5 “Maps”
- Taylor Swift “Shake It Off”
- Pharrell Williams “Happy”
- Ylvis “What Does the Fox Say?”
- One Direction “Best Song Ever”
These are just a few of the many songs kids can have fun with when they’re learning drums. I tend to stick to songs with positive vibes, but you can explore and see what your child likes to play. Usually, if kids aren’t excited about the song, they won’t be as excited about practicing.
Looking for more drum songs for your kids? Find more options in our ultimate list of drum songs!
Maegan W. teaches drums, songwriting, and more in San Diego, CA. She earned a degree in Percussion from the Musician’s Institute, and has been teaching private lessons since 2004. Learn more about Maegan here!
Photo by Stefan.