Spanish is a beautiful language. As you listen to native speakers, you’ll notice how expressive, elegant, and sensual it can sound. Scientists have even deemed it the happiest language, too!
Not only is it a beautiful (and happy) language, it also has a well-recognized and logical structure. Pair that with its many Spanish-English cognates, and you can see why it’s one of the most popular languages to learn!
As you learn how to speak Spanish, you’ll come across many words that stand out — whether for the melodic way they roll off your tongue or their meaning.
Here are some of our favorites:
50 Beautiful Spanish Words
1. bonita: pretty (adjective)
2. precioso: precious/beautiful (adjective)
3. señorita: young lady (noun)
4. guapo: handsome (adjective)
5. rosado: pink (adjective)
6. amor: love (noun)
7. encantar: to enchant (verb)
8. desear: to wish (verb)
9. sonreîr: to smile (verb)
10. bailar: to dance (verb)
11. cantar: to sing (verb)
12. beso: kiss (noun)
13. vivir: to live (verb)
14. abrazo: hug (noun)
15. novia/novia: boyfriend/girlfriend ( noun)
16. contigo: with you (pronoun)
17. palabra: word (noun)
18. chocolate: chocolate (noun)
19. café: brown (adjective)/ coffee (noun)
20. naranja: orange (noun)
21. dulce: sweet (adjective)
22. ángel: angel (noun)
23. fuego: fire (noun)
24. cielo: sky (noun)
25. zapatos: shoes (noun)
26. corazon: heart (noun)
27. estrella: star (noun)
28. noche: night (noun)
29. caliente: hot (adjective)
30. rica: rich/delicious (adjective)
31. dinero: money (noun)
32. serenidad: serenity (noun)
33. mariposa: butterfly (noun)
34. fuerte: strong (adjective)
35. siempre: always (adverb)
36. seda: silk (noun)
37. favorito: favorite (adjective)
38. mañana: tomorrow (adverb)
39. bienvenido: welcome (adjective)
40. sol: sun (noun)
41. montaña: mountain (noun)
42. azúcar: sugar (noun)
43. mirar: to look (verb)
44. fruta: fruit (noun)
45. medianoche: midnight (noun)
46. luz: light (noun)
47. diamante: diamond (noun)
48. flor: flower (noun)
49. mar: sea (noun)
50. helado: ice cream (noun)
Tips for Building Your Spanish Vocabulary
Now that you’ve learned all these beautiful Spanish words… how can you make sure you remember them? Here are some additional tips to keep in mind as you study vocabulary words.
- Categorize the words. Try grouping words together based on their similarities. For instance, words that are related to showing affection can be placed into the category “Affection”. Words like amor (love), besos (kisses), abrazo (hug), and guapo (handsome) fit into this category. You can create multiple lists with different categories to study.
- Use them in a sentence. When you create your own sentences, it’s easier to remember the definitions of the words because of the relevant context. Try writing them down so you can look back and study them.
- Post them around your house. Labeling items around the house is a great way to learn new words. You can label the chairs, refrigerator, doors, etc. with their corresponding Spanish word.
- Read familiar stories in Spanish. Try reading Spanish translations of fairy tales that are familiar to you, as well as Spanish newspapers to help you enhance your vocabulary.
- Play Spanish vocabulary games. There are plenty of free online Spanish learning games to check out. Besides online games, you can print out, purchase, or make other games, such as Bingo and charades.
Good luck with your studies, and have some fun along the way!
Readers, what other beautiful Spanish words would you add to this list? Leave a comment or share the post on Facebook and let us know!