Our online tools make booking, managing your schedule and paying for lessons easy and hassle-free.
Access and compare detailed information about teaching style, experience, education, and more.
If for any reason you're not satisfied after your first lesson, we'll help you find another teacher or refund your entire purchase.
No matter where you live, chances are we can introduce you to an
amazing teacher in your neighborhood. You can take lessons in the
privacy of your own home or at your teacher's location. Start by
searching in your ZIP code to find teachers near you.
What if the teacher who best fits your needs is on the other side
of the country? No problem. Our online lesson platform connects
you with any teacher, anywhere. All you need is a reliable Internet
connection, a webcam, and a microphone.
Your search for the perfect teacher starts with the subject you'd like to learn and your ZIP code. From the list of recommended teachers, compare detailed information about each option before you make your teacher selection.
Take some time to review the teachers in our network. All of our teachers provide detailed profiles, including information about their background, specialties, and teaching style. You can also read reviews from past and current students.
Select your teacher and book online. After you book, your teacher will contact you directly to talk about your first lesson and you'll be able to manage your entire schedule through our free online account.
Take your voice to the next level. Download free video tutorials to start singing like the star you are!
Getting Started with Music Lessons guides you through selecting a teacher & preparing for your first lesson.
Kickstart your guitar playing. Download free video tutorials to learn about chord progressions, strumming, and more!
Bass Guitar, Clarinet, Classical Guitar, Drum, Flute, Guitar, Music Recording, Music Theory, Percussion, Piano, Singing, Songwriting, Trombone, Trumpet
I have a BA in Music from CUNY College of Staten Island and a MM in Composition from CUNY Brooklyn College. I have been teaching Music in NYC Public Schools since 2005 where I have taught thousands of students ages 5 through 14; General Music and Instrumental studies. I have taught private lessons as young as 4 and as mature as 65. The best part of my week is when I get to work with my IS 192 Wind Band, we are working on my latest arrangements of Rock n' Roll and Punk Rock tunes which range from Blue Suede Shoes to Blitzkreig Bop. In addition to my work as an educator, I am a working musician and composer. I have just completed a full length musical titled Work, a short comedic film for NYU titled Goosey's Big Movie, and a video game for the Iphone, Ipad and Ipod titled Tin Man Can released by Chillingo and Red Candy Games.
I use my creativity to engage my students, teaching them musical empowerment by learning how to improvise and compose their own music. My primary instruments you can find in any rock band (guitar, bass, drums, etc.) however I have extensive experience and success in teaching string and wind instruments. I am a fun and outgoing person who loves talking about music or just about anything, I would be happy to be your music teacher!
*** Lesson Details ***
I have a laid back personality but I stress self discipline in my lessons. I teach students to be their own boss! I want my students to take responsibility of their education because unlike the subjects that we NEED to learn for life, music can be the one thing we choose to learn to enrich our minds and spirit. I always begin my lessons with just getting to know the instrument, making sounds and noises and improvising on whatever the student already knows. I then proceed to rudiments, taking the student into understanding music as a subject and how to transfer things on a page or sounds in their ear to the instrument. I have a preferred way to teach and a curriculum I use, however I will ask the student what their goals are at the beginning and always keep my instruction steadily aimed at achieving those goals. After three to six months, students will be able to sight read simple melodies and chord names, as well as play some of their favorite songs and some classics.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can provide a computer, music stand, manuscript paper.
*** Specialties ***
I have taught Suzuki and Orff methods as well as traditional note reading. I prefer to teach music reading to students ages 8 and up. I teach Classical and Pop guitar as well as songwriting.
Cello, Clarinet, Flute, French Horn, Music Performance, Music Recording, Music Theory, Oboe, Piano, Saxophone, Singing, Songwriting, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Violin
•The styles I teach most often are jazz, classical and popular. Although I have studied many different genres, my specialties are saxophone and composition. I have studied with music teachers such as Anthony Braxton, Herb Pomeroy, Charlie Banacos, Jerry Bergonzi, Gary Burton, Joe Viola, Ken Pullig, John LaPorta, Hal Crook, James Newton and Ken Radnofsky.
•9/1997 – Present San Lorenzo (CA) Unified School District Independent Music Teacher 9/1990 Â– 11/1997 St. Felicitas School San
Leandro, CA St. John School Fiat School of Music Music Unlimited San
Lorenzo, CA Pinole, CA San Leandro, CA Provide individual and group
music instruction to people from age 3 to 99. Deliver instruction based
on Music Teachers National Association Certificate of Merit Curriculum
for Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet and Piano. Incorporate Jazz
Improvisation, Theory and Harmony lessons
• Listed in Who’s Who Among International Professional Educators. • Listed in Who’s Who in American Education • Listed in Who’s Who Among American Women • Listed in Who’s Who in America • Six Lessons published in • Recognition for Self-Assembly Method Instructional Design Theory • Published article in OnCUE, Journal of Computer Using Educators
• Krause Center of Innovation 2005-2006 EWYL Cohort Participant • Krause Center of Innovation 2006-2007 EWYL Fellows Participant • Iisme (Industry Initiatives for Science and Math Education) Fellow 2004: Intranet Web Designer at Applied Materials using Macromedia Dreamweaver and Contribute • Alameda County Representative to the CTAP Technology Leadership Academy at the Alameda County Office of Education (2000). Co-leader of Staff Development Program for Grade 4-8 Technology Integration • Taught University of Phoenix class for Technology Integration • IMTC class teacher in FrontPage and MS Paint • Member San Lorenzo Unified School District Ed Tech Committee and Lorenzo Manor Elementary Ed Tech Committee. • Past District Web Page Coordinator and FrontPage Trainer • Participant in Intel Teach to the Future training • Provide opportunities for children to meet Technology Standards• Incorporate technology into the curriculum using desktops and
wireless laptops, FL Studio, Cubasis VST 4.0, Music Ace, Band in a Box,
Finale Notepad, Silver Burdett MIDI Connection, Windows Movie Maker,
Microsoft Office Suite, recording and burning CDs, DVDs, etc. • Manage
a High School Computer Music Lab. • MarcoPolo trainer.• Teach Music Technology classes after school for the Gifted and Talented (GATE Program).
• Member Music Educators National Conference • Member Technology Institute for Music Educators. Lesson plan published on their Web Site. • Member California Music Educators and present music technology sessions for educators at the Bay Section Conferences.
• Deliver instruction in the area of the curriculum pertaining to National and District Music Standards. • Create and implement lesson plans, rubrics and assessments. • Organize and produce Winter and Spring Concerts. • Experience working with children with challenging behaviors and disabilities (Special Day Class and Continuation School).
• Provide children with learning experiences that promote their cognitive, social and emotional development. • Experience in teaching students from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds. • Communicate with parents. Handle record-keeping of grades and attendance. • Work cooperatively with other education professionals.
• Organize and produce Winter and Spring Recitals, including County Recitals for the National Guild of Piano Teachers. Communicate with parents. Handle advertising and record-keeping of tuition payments. Â• Vice-President of the Alameda County Branch of the Music Teachers Association of California. Attend Board meetings and plan guest speakers Â• Licensed Kindermusik instructor for children ages 18 mos. to 7 years. Â• Students chosen for State and County Honors Recitals. Â• Listed in National Honor Roll, National Guild of Piano Teachers; Member Music TeacherÂ’s National Association. Â• Taught Undergraduate Musicianship class as a Graduate Assistant at Mills College.
•Professional Freelance Musician 9/1984 Â– 12/1995 Boston, MA; Bay Area, CA Performed own compositions and others works in various styles in innumerable local venues and clubs such as The Oakland Museum, Yerba Buena Gardens, The Valencia Café, Trans America Building, the Marriott Hotel, as well as in Las Vegas. She have performed with musicians such as Vijay Iyer, Anthony Braxton, MC
Hammer, Luciana Souza, Lloyd Nibbs (Skatalites), Fred Lonberg-Holm,
Andy Borger (Norah Jones), Stuart Popejoy, Aaron Stewart, Sheila
Sofian, William Calhoun (Living Color), Sean Kennerly (Samiam) and Joey
Cheezhee.Â• CD Recording on Curious Pogos Records:Frederick Lonberg HolmÂ’s Â“Theory of MotionÂ”. Â• Composed music on Sheila SofianÂ’s Animations Â“Faith and PatienceÂ” and Â“Secret RageÂ”. Won 15 awards in International and National Film Festivals. Broadcast on WHYY TV12 and WYBE TV35 Educational Stations. Â• Honorable Mention in Composition: City of Oakland Creative Arts Fellowship. Â• Live Performances on KPFA, KNBR and KALX radio stations.
•EDUCATION Ph.D. in Education (010/2013). Specialization in Professional Studies Capella University Teaching Credential: K-12 Single Subject Music 8/1999 Chapman University GPA 3.9 US-CA-Concord Master of Fine Arts degree in Electronic Music and Recording Media with an emphasis in Composition 5/1992 Mills College GPA 3.64 US-CA-Oakland Bachelor of Music degree in Jazz Composition and Arranging 5/1987 Berklee College of Music US-CA-Boston GPA 3.59 Cum Laude
*** Lesson Details ***
I am interested in teaching you what you need and want to learn so that you achieve your dreams. Please note that I only take serious students who will practice at least 30 minutes every day or 35 a day 6 days a week at home. I would like you to keep a log of how much you practice. This will enable you to make progress through the curriculum as you will be a beginner for the first 3.3 years, an intermediate for the next 3.3 years, and then an advanced student for 3.3 years. I will give you assignments to do over the week, and the next week we will go over them, learn something new and get new assignments. It takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Currently I am converting my detached garage into a music studio with keyboard and instruments. There is a sitting room where parents can wait for their children.
*** Travel Equipment ***
Metronome, CD Boom Box
*** Specialties ***
Jazz, classical, popular, saxophone, composition, music, flute, clarinet, piano, violin, trumpet, trombone, french horn, tuba, baritone, oboe, songwriting, recording, children's music Composition
Reading and Notating Music
Music Software such as FL Studio, Band in a Box, Reason and GarageBand. Bring your laptop to lessons!
Minor Key Harmony
Extended and Secondary Dominants
Altered Dominant Scale
Clarinet, Classical Guitar, Flute, French Horn, Music Theory, Percussion, Piano, Saxophone, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba
I have a BS in music education received at Lehman College, Bronx, NY. I am a professional musician/ composer/ arranger.I received my teaching credentials at SFSU and have been a General music teacher as well as a, band teacher. I have studied trumpet with Classical ( Wilmer Wise)and Jazz musician (Bill Hardman) and big band arranging with Frank Foster( saxophonist and arranger with Count Basie Band). At present I am retired and teaching privately.
I have been teaching music for over 50 years as well as being a professional musician/ composer and arranger. I not only know my fundamentals inside and out, but also I know many tricks of the trade. Over the years I have developed special teaching techniques that enable students to make sense out of music and progress rapidly on their instruments.I love playing music and aim at stirring that same kind of excitement abut music in my students.
To each lesson I bring a unique mix, encouraging the student to pursue excellence and also have fun. I am well qualified to teach: woodwinds( oboe, flute, clarinet, all saxophones) brass(french horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba), and piano.
*** Lesson Details ***
I make music interesting to learn. I encourage students to practice daily so they can improve. The more they improve the more fun they can have with music not only alone, but with others.
I am very patient with my students especially with beginners. I know that for them it is like learning a new language. Once they begin to increase their musical vocabulary, they will enjoy what they can do with music.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Seating for parents, basement studio, piano, drum set
*** Travel Equipment ***
Students should provide their own instruments.
"Steven is very professional and extremely helpful. He always has a smile on and is serious about helping you phrase the music. I would highly recommend him to anyone."
"It's been really exciting so far! Jordan has been so helpful, so knowledgeable. I could not have found a better instructor and I'm getting better and better every day."
"My daughter's wedding was weeks away and I had never been able to dance a step. With Jenny's help, I came further than ever before in such short time in any subject."