Singers, ready to reach those high (or low!) notes? In this video, teacher Arlys A. demonstrates some easy vocal exercises to use as you work on increasing your range:
Video Recap: Vocal Exercises to Increase Your Range
Try incorporating these exercises into your practice routine:
- Lip bubbles or lip trills
- The “oooh” slides
From there, work with your voice teacher to find songs at the right level for you — it’s crucial to find the balance of challenging yourself, but not straining your voice!
Here’s an idea of what your voice teacher may work with you on, as described by teacher Emmanuel N:
- First step: Discovering your current vocal range is our first step. I will play a virtual piano, and you will sing each note I play (if you have mimicry then this will be easy) until we have found your vocal range. If you know your range already then we skip this step.
- Second step: We then discover your weak spots – where your voice sounds weak, where you have trouble, and where you need help. After this we can then start to increase your vocal range.
- Third step: I will then teach you and give you tips and suggestions on how to sing lower or higher – depending on what you want. Here is where our lessons will vary completely seeing as each student is different.
- Fourth step: Every time we discover a new voice I will teach you to bridge your voices together so there is no gap between them. Typically this is our last step with each voice.
Not sure of your current vocal range? We love this video, which you can follow along with to determine your vocal range in one minute:
Make sure to stand up straight and fully support your voice as you’re working on these exercises, too. Posture can make all the difference!
Additional Resources About Increasing Range:
- Vocal Range Exercises – Increase Vocal Range and Sing Higher [Video], via Felicia Ricci
- 3 Ways to Grow Your Vocal Range, via Inspired to Sing
- Infographic: Intro to the Singer’s Stance
- 9 Must-Read Tips for Singing High Notes
- 8 Singing Tips for Reaching Your Lower Register
Want to learn more? Check out our live, online singing classes taught by Arlys and other awesome singing teachers!