Looking for a fun and enriching outing with the kids? Look no further than the LA County Museum of Art, the largest art museum in the western United States. Located at 5905 Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles, the museum has exhibited amazing works of art since 1965.
Before you head out of the house, here are a few things to know about the the LA County Museum of Art…
1. Time your visit for free admission.
Do you have kids under 17? Sign up for a NexGen membership to receive free admission! The museum also admits LA County residents for free after 3 pm Monday through Friday. Fun, enriching, and free? You had no idea what you were missing, did you?
2. Check the schedule for activities.
- Story Time: Folk tales and age-appropriate children’s stories are presented every Monday and Friday at 2 pm in the Boone Children’s Gallery.
- NexGen: This is a free youth membership program, which offers free general admission to anyone under 17 with one accompanying adult. Enroll here!
- Art Classes & Camps: Classes for all ages are taught by artists, in addition to special art camps coinciding with school breaks. Prices vary.
- Community Art Programs: Children and young adults are invited to attend free artist-led workshops, exhibitions, and more (typically weekdays after school).
- Self-Guided Activities: Free activities available at the Box Office include an art tote full of objects and activities, an audio tour, and guides for parents to encourage dialogue about art with kids.
3. Consider exploring the art beyond the paint brush.
Going beyond what is expected from the typical art museum, the LA County Museum of Art offers a variety of programs, including:
- The Film Department: The LA County Museum of Art previews new studio, independent, and foreign films, and also hosts a film series in celebration of cinema worldwide with thematic film series, retrospectives, and tributes.
- Music Programs: The LA County Museum of Art presents more than 100 concerts annually, including leading international and local jazz, classical, Latin, and new music ensembles. Looking for a free show? Check out the Sundays Live series, featuring a free one-hour concert every Sunday at 6pm in the Leo S. Bing Theater.
- The Education Department: The Education Department provides opportunities for all ages to explore art, including talks and courses, art and film education, a film lab, art classes, school and community events, teen-focused events, evenings and resources designed just for educators, and more!
4. Get ready for a little retail therapy.
In person and online, the LACMA store offers posters, books, e-books, jewelry, toys, and other novelties and gifts inspired by museum collections and exhibits. Looking for current or out-of-print exhibition catalogs and books on contemporary art? Visit the Art Catalogues Bookstore.
Want to show your support for this awesome venue? Become a LA County Museum of Art member for additional perks, unfettered access, and most importantly, to support and spread the joy of art to children and the community via the museum’s extensive outreach programs. So what are you waiting for? Head out and explore the museum, and get your kids involved in the arts today!
Photo by Eric Gelinas