5 Insider Tips for The Voice Auditions

5 Insider Tips for The Voice Auditions

The Voice auditionsThinking about auditioning for a show like The VoiceBryan S., one of our San Diego-based teachers, offers a few insider tips to get you ahead of the game. Read on…

There are many of us out there that dream of making it big as a singer. The great thing about the day and age we live in is that your life can be changed in a second and your dreams can come true. With shows like American Idol, The X Factor and The Voice, more singers than ever are closer to being heard by a nation. With that in mind, there is a lot of work and preparation needed to get to that point.

This past weekend I auditioned for The Voice at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Overall, the experience was fantastic. I waited in line only about an hour and a half, and then literally walked in, sang and left. Though I sadly did not get a callback, I did leave with a better understanding of the process and what to expect from a television competition.

I went into the audition with a teacher’s mindset; how can I better prepare my students for an audition of this caliber? Here is what I learned from my time in Los Angeles:

1. Seek advice and training – Taking singing lessons will definitely help you be ahead of the game in these types of auditions. Having natural talent is fantastic, but if you rely solely on natural talents you may find that your overall performance is lacking. Find a good voice instructor and let them guide you to your goals.

2. Go in with your best – Make sure you sing the best part of your best song. Often times you will only get one verse and one chorus to show exactly how amazing your voice is. With that in mind, make sure you do your research. You have something special about your voice and you need to find a song that best shows that off.

3. Know the show – As with any television audition, it is essential that you know something about the show. Do your research and look at the songs people are singing. Do any of those songs fit into your range? Could you rock that song better than someone on the show? What are they wearing? Use the show as a resource to prepare you for the audition.

4. Come with your “A Game” – Though you may have to wait in line for some time, you need to be ready to go at any second. Make sure that you drink lots of water, do some humming and keep your voice warm, especially if you will be waiting in line outside. Do everything you can to be well-rested before the audition. This is your opportunity to shine!

5. The Voice is literally looking for “The Voice” – This may seem obvious, but when you go into the audition you are told that there is something particular that they are listening for. While they don’t tell you what that exact type of voice is, you do get some insight into the fact that you may be phenomenal but still not the “right” voice for the show.

Singing is becoming a bigger deal in the television world and as you prepare yourself for your auditions make sure you remember how amazing you are. It’s all too easy to let your nerves get the best of you. With that being said, get up, practice and get out there! You are the only thing coming between your reality and your dreams. You have it within you to be great, so let’s see it!

Bryan S. teaches singing, theatrical Broadway singing, opera voice, music performance, acting and music theory in San Diego, CA.  He is a member of the National Association of Teachers of Singing, (NATS), the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) and the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA).

Interested in Private Lessons?

Search thousands of prescreened teachers for local and live, online lessons. Sign up for safe, affordable private lessons today!

Free TakeLessons Resource

Photos by Kevin Klocker & JColman

10 replies
  1. Ashley says:

So, I’ve been really thinking about auditioning for The Voice. I’ve auditioned for American Idol in the past and did not have a good experience. The auditionees were not treated well and it’s definitly not based on talent to begin with. My biggest question about the voice is, “Who do audition for during the Open Call Auditions?” I assume it’s not the judges you see on tv. But that assumption is purely based on my experience with American Idol.

2. Suzy S., TakeLessons Blog Manager says:

Great question, Ashley! I’ll reach out to our teacher Bryan and see if I can get an answer for you. In the meantime — do any of our other readers have some experience? Leave a comment below and let us know!

3. Bryan Stanton says:

Hi Ashley, When I auditioned I was taken into a room with just one person. She explained that she was an associate producer. She was not one of the judges from the series or an executive producer. The interesting thing about The Voice , as opposed to, American Idol is that the Associate Producer I was singing in front of was on FaceTime or some sort of Online chat with the Executive Producers so decisions were not solely made by the Associate Producer but the the entire Producing team.

I hope that helps. The Voice audition was much more pleasant than my experiences with American Idol in the past.

4. Lauren says:

Hi my names Lauren and I’m 16 I have been singing all of my life and I’m finally going to try out for the voice I’m from a small town and I don’t really know how to dress for an audition or how to even pick the right song its really frustrating do you have any advice for me?

5. Adrian G says:

My dad and I did a lot of audition touring when I was in high school, especially since I was on American Idol only making ing it to the tv auditions because of a very bad vocal choice and for only their laughter.(I was a teenager and oblivious).
    A lot of the first round auditions are in crowds settings, whether it be american idols arenas, AGTs ten people per room in a conference center somewhere, the voices similar format, and the X factors audition process, which was my favorite. Arenas with maybe 20 -30 different little cloth screened cubicals, you get one on one on a tech person or producer of sorts and 1:30 to introduce yourself and sing, when you got your pass you get to come back the next day to the similar 2nd round but separated to the big types of groups, male female, group, etc. then you go to a small taped room with some accented fellas . I was sick during the 1st season, but almost made judges 2nd season but it was cancelled by wheather. I couldn’t go do auditions again in 2014 I became homless, so I composed an made music for my self to sing. If you wanna check my voice out my sound cloud is above.

Besides I’ll never be the voice these shows will pick, I’ve been doing it the old fashion way. Hehe.

6. Jen says:

Oh and should we get there a while before our audition time or show up a little before? My audition is at 2pm

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Vocal Tips: How to Set Yourself Apart as a Singer | Justin Walker - Jacksonville Musician/Composer says:

[…] it be for a musical at a local theater, a fine arts school, or even for television shows such as The Voice or American Idol. Below, I have collected four of my best and most frequent pieces of advice for […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!